|• Population||547 (2011)|
|• Area (km2)||11.483|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Maroulas is a local community of the Rethymno Municipality in the Rethymno (regional unit) of the region of Crete established by Kallikratis reform. It is traditional settlement and is classified in Class II, that is of average cultural value (Government Gazette 728/21-9-1995).
Geography, origin of name, history
Maroulas lies southeast of Rethymno and 10 kilometers from this city at an altitude of 240 meters. Most buildings date back to the Venetian period, but the area is likely to be inhabited since the Minoan period. According to tradition, the village took its name from the shepherdess Maroula, who, while grazing her sheep in the region, found a spring of cool digestive water.
- Population of Maroulas
Archaeological discoveries , important buildings, Temples
Two cemeteries of the palatial period of Minoan period have been revealed in the area. The findings of the cemeteries are exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of Rethymno.
The Venetians built two towers, are still preserved and other buildings with battlements, and there are several coats of arms on the doors of buildings. In 1630 Turks settled in Maroulas. One can also see a mill, alarge arched doors of Venetian mansions, narrow streets, arches.
The Temple of Prophet Elias built at the top of the hill with a magnificent view to the Cretan Sea.
Since 21 July 2005 the area of Maroulas is included in the Cadastre system and is under the authority of the Cadastral Office of Rethymno (20 Hortatzis Str., ZIP: 74100, Rethymno, Phone n.: 0030-28310-22403)
- Photo Gallery, Web site of municipality of Rethymnno retrieved at 10 April 2012
- Cycling routes, Web site of Tourism Promotion Committee of Rethymno Prefecture, retrieved at 10 April 2012
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Ministry of Environment, Archive of Traditional Settlements and Listed Buildings Archived 2012-04-05 at the Wayback Machine. retrieved at 10 April 2012
- Hellenic Statistical Authority, Digital Library (ELSAT), Census (Greek and English) Archived 2013-05-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Presentation of Maroulas at the website of the Municipality of Rethymno Archived 2010-09-06 at the Wayback Machine. retrieved at 10 April 2012
- Bus timetables, Maroulas (in german)
- "Greek Cadastre Areas". Ktimatologio S.A. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 9-4-2012. Check date values in:
|This Crete location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|