|Parish of Marown|
Manx: Skeerey Varooney
Marown has an area of approximately 9 square miles (23 km2) and is the only landlocked parish on Mann. The River Dhoo flows through the parish.
Marown Language Centre (Manx: Yn Ynnyd Çhengey), a foreign language teaching facility and training centre for teachers on the island, is located in Crosby, close to the old St Runius Church (dedicated to St. Runius or Rónán). The name of the parish is derived from this saint (cf Malew).
Historic homes in the parish include Ellerslie Manor, Ballacotch Manor and Ballavagher House. The Millennium Way long distance footpath runs through the parish, as does the Heritage Trail, which follows the old Peel to Douglas railway line. The Snaefell Mountain Course also runs through the parish.
Famous residents of the parish have included English keyboard player Rick Wakeman, best known as the keyboardist for progressive rock group Yes, and Manx-born TV chef and actor, Kevin Woodford.
The Isle of Man census of 2016 returned a parish population of 2,246, a decrease of 2.9% from the figure of 2,311 in 2011.
Marown F.C. is a football club who compete in the Isle of Man Football League. They play their home games at the Memorial Playing Fields in Crosby. The village also has the Crosby Cricket Club who play on the same site. They were founded in 1946 and are members of the Isle of Man Cricket Association. The parish also has Marown Badminton Club based in Glen Vine, who are members of the Isle of Man Badminton Association, Marown Hockey Club and Marown Bowling Club.
- "Common Law Courts Act 1796 (AN ACT for the better Regulation of the Court of Common Law.)" (PDF). Isle of Man Government On-line Legislation. Isle of Man Government. 1796. p. 5. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
Island divided into Districts, etc
- Broderick, George (2000). Placenames of the Isle of Man. Volume Five. Sheading of Middle (Kirk Braddan, Kirk Marown, and Kirk Santan). Tübingen: Niemeyer. p. xli. ISBN 3484401338.
- "Marown Parish Commissioners". Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Captains of the Parishes". Culture Vannin. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Marown parish". isle-of-man.com. 2000. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "St Runius Church". Isle of Man Guide. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Crosby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1833". isle-of-man.com. 2001. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Marown Primary School". Isle of Man Schools. Archived from the original on 2010-01-10. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Isle of Man Primary Modern Languages Service". Isle of Man Schools. Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Millennium Way". Isle of Man Guide. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Heritage Trail". Isle of Man Guide. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- 2016 Isle of Man Census Report
- "A Brief History of the Club". Crosby Cricket Club. Archived from the original on 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "clubs in glen vine". Isle of Man Badminton Association. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- Marown Parish Commissioners
- Marown Church
- Manxnotebook - Marown
- Isle of Man Building Control Districts PDF showing parish boundaries