Marquess of Sligo
|Marquessate of Sligo|
Arms: Sable, three Lions passant in bend Argent, between four Bendlets Argent. Crest: An Eagle displayed Vert. Supporters: Dexter: A Talbot gorged with a Baron’s Coronet proper; Sinister: A Horse Argent.
|Creation date||29 December 1800|
|First holder||John Browne, 3rd Earl of Altamont|
|Present holder||Sebastian Browne, 12th Marquess of Sligo|
|Heir apparent||Christopher Browne, Earl of Altamont|
|Subsidiary titles||Earl of Altamont |
Earl of Clanricarde
Baron Mount Eagle
|Former seat(s)||Westport House|
|Armorial motto||SUIVEZ RAISON |
(Follow the right)
Marquess of Sligo is a title in the Peerage of Ireland. It was created in 1800 for John Browne, 3rd Earl of Altamont. The Marquess holds the subsidiary titles of Baron Mount Eagle, of Westport in the County of Mayo (created 10 September 1760), Viscount Westport, of Westport in the County of Mayo (created 24 August 1768), Earl of Altamont, in the County of Mayo (created 4 December 1771), Earl of Clanricarde (created 1800) and Baron Monteagle, of Westport in the County of Mayo (created 20 February 1806). All these titles are in the Peerage of Ireland, except the Barony of Monteagle, which is in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. The latter peerage entitled the Marquesses to a seat in the House of Lords prior to the House of Lords Act 1999. The Earldom of Clanricarde was inherited by the sixth Marquess in 1916 according to a special remainder in the letters patent.
The Browne family descends from Colonel John Browne, younger son of Sir John Browne, 1st Baronet, of The Neale, County Mayo, whose eldest son, the second Baronet, was the ancestor of the Barons Kilmaine. The baronetcy was created in 1636. Colonel John Browne's grandson John Browne represented Castlebar in the Irish House of Commons. He was created Baron Mount Eagle in 1760, Viscount Westport in 1768 and Earl of Altamont in 1771, the titles of Mount Eagle and Altamont deriving from Croagh Patrick near Westport. Both his son, the second Earl, and grandson, the third Earl, represented County Mayo in the Irish Parliament. In 1800 the latter was elected as one of the 28 original Irish Representative Peers and later that year he was created Marquess of Sligo.
In 1806, he was made Baron Monteagle in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, which gave the Marquesses an automatic seat in the House of Lords. He was succeeded by his son, the second Marquess. He was Lord Lieutenant of County Mayo from 1842 to 1845. Lord Sligo married Lady Hester Catherine de Burgh, eldest daughter of John Thomas de Burgh, 13th Earl of Clanricarde.
In 1800, Lord Clanricarde was given a new Earldom of Clanricarde, with remainder, failing heirs male of his own, to the heirs male of his two daughters. Lord Sligo's younger son, the fourth Marquess, represented County Mayo in Parliament from 1857 to 1868. His nephew, the sixth Marquess, succeeded to the Earldom of Clanricarde (1800 creation) in 1916 on the death of his cousin Hubert George de Burgh-Canning, 2nd Marquess of Clanricarde. As of 2014 the titles are held by his great-nephew, the twelfth Marquess, who succeeded his first cousin in 2014. He is a property consultant living in Sydney, Australia.
The family seat was Westport House, near Westport, County Mayo in Ireland. After the death of the 11th Marquess, it passed to his five daughters, in accordance to a private legislation passed by the Irish Senate in 1993. Westport House was sold by Lord Sligo's daughters in October 2017, breaking the formal link between Westport House and the family which had been ongoing for 380 years. The house was sold to the Hughes family, a local family of entrepreneurs in Westport.
Baron Mount Eagle (1760), Viscount Westport (1768), Earls of Altamont (1771)
- John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont, 1st Viscount Westport, 1st Baron Mount Eagle (c. 1709-1776)
- Peter Browne, 2nd Earl of Altamont, 2nd Viscount Westport, 2nd Baron Mount Eagle (c. 1731-1780)
- John Denis Browne, 3rd Earl of Altamont, 3rd Viscount Westport, 3rd Baron Mount Eagle (1756–1809) (created Marquess of Sligo In 1800)
Marquesses of Sligo (1800), Baron Monteagle (1806), Earl of Clanricarde (1916)
- John Denis Browne, 1st Marquess of Sligo, 3rd Earl of Altamont, 3rd Viscount Westport, 3rd Baron Mount Eagle, 1st Baron Monteagle (1756–1809)
- Howe Peter Browne, 2nd Marquess of Sligo, 4th Earl of Altamont, 4th Viscount Westport, 4th Baron Mount Eagle, 2nd Baron Monteagle (1788–1845)
- George John Browne, 3rd Marquess of Sligo, 5th Earl of Altamont, 5th Viscount Westport, 5th Baron Mount Eagle, 3rd Baron Monteagle (1820–1896)
- John Thomas Browne, 4th Marquess of Sligo, 6th Earl of Altamont, 6th Viscount Westport, 6th Baron Mount Eagle, 4th Baron Monteagle (1824–1903)
- Henry Ulick Browne, 5th Marquess of Sligo, 7th Earl of Altamont, 7th Viscount Westport, 7th Baron Mount Eagle, 5th Baron Monteagle (1831–1913)
- George Ulick Browne, 6th Marquess of Sligo, 8th Earl of Altamont, 4th Earl of Clanricarde, 8th Viscount Westport, 8th Baron Mount Eagle, 6th Baron Monteagle (1856–1935)
- Ulick John Browne, 7th Marquess of Sligo, 9th Earl of Altamont, 5th Earl of Clanricarde, 9th Viscount Westport, 9th Baron Mount Eagle, 7th Baron Monteagle (1898–1941)
- Arthur Howe Browne, 8th Marquess of Sligo, 10th Earl of Altamont, 6th Earl of Clanricarde, 10th Viscount Westport, 10th Baron Mount Eagle, 8th Baron Monteagle (1867–1951)
- Terence Morris Browne, 9th Marquess of Sligo, 11th Earl of Altamont, 7th Earl of Clanricarde, 11th Viscount Westport, 11th Baron Mount Eagle, 9th Baron Monteagle (1873–1952)
- Denis Edward Browne, 10th Marquess of Sligo, 12th Earl of Altamont, 8th Earl of Clanricarde, 12th Viscount Westport, 12th Baron Mount Eagle, 10th Baron Monteagle (1908–1991)
- Jeremy Ulick Browne, 11th Marquess of Sligo, 13th Earl of Altamont, 9th Earl of Clanricarde, 13th Viscount Westport, 13th Baron Mount Eagle, 11th Baron Monteagle (1939–2014)
- Sebastian Ulick Browne, 12th Marquess of Sligo, 14th Earl of Altamont, 10th Earl of Clanricarde, 14th Viscount Westport, 14th Baron Mount Eagle, 12th Baron Monteagle (born 1964)
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, Christopher Ulick Browne, Earl of Altamont (born 1988).
- "No. 10029". The London Gazette. 26 August 1760. p. 1.
- "No. 11196". The London Gazette. 16 November 1771. p. 3.
- "No. 15326". The London Gazette. 10 January 1801. p. 40.
- "No. 15889". The London Gazette. 15 February 1806. p. 192.
- "No. 15326". The London Gazette. 10 January 1801. p. 40.
- "Google Groups". Groups.google.com. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Marquess of Sligo, Jeremy Browne Altamont, dies at 75 - BBC News". Bbc.com. 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- Cracroft's Peerage. Archived 2011-06-12 at the Wayback Machine.