Marquis of Torres Novas
The title Marquis of Torres Novas (in Portuguese Marquês de Torres Novas) was created by royal decree, dated from 27 March 1520, by King Manuel I of Portugal, to Dom John of Lencastre (1501–1571), eldest son of Infante George, Duke of Coimbra.
List of the Marquesses of Torres Novas
- John of Lencastre (1501–1571), son of Infante George, Duke of Coimbra (therefore grandson of King John II of Portugal). Later he became the 1st Duke of Aveiro;
- George of Lencastre (1548–1578), his son, became 2nd Duke of Aveiro;
- George of Lencastre (1594–1634), his grandson, became 1st Duke of Torres Novas;
- Raimundo of Lencastre (1620–1666), his son, became 2nd Duke of Torres Novas and 4th Duke of Aveiro;
- Peter of Lencastre, 5th Duke of Aveiro (1608–1673), also Archbishop of Évora, died without issue;
- Gabriel of Lencastre, 7th Duke of Aveiro (1667–1745), died without issue.
John I<------------->Philippa of Lencastre (1357-1433) | (1360-1415) King of Portugal | Princess of England | Duarte I (1391-1438) King of Portugal ______________|______________ | | Afonso V Infante Fernando (1432-1481) (1433-1470) King of Portugal 1st.Duke of Beja | 2nd.Duke of Viseu | ________|________ | | | Ana de Mendonça==========John II<------->Leonor of Viseu Manuel I : (1455-1495) | (1458-1525) (1469-1521) : King of Portugal | King of Portugal : | | : | | George of Lencastre Afonso | (1481-1550) (1475-1491) | 2nd.Duke of Coimbra Crown Prince | | | | | JOHN of LENCASTRE Royal House of Portugal (1501-1571) House of Braganza 1st.Marquis of Torres Novas : 1st.Duke of Aveiro : | : | : Dukes of Aveiro : | : ______________|____________________________________:::::::: | | | Marquises of Torres Novas Counts of Alcáçovas Counts of Aveiro
”Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil" – Vol. III, pages 446/447. Published by Zairol Lda., Lisbon 1989.