Marrakesh Menara Airport
Marrakesh Menara Airport
Aéroport Marrakech Ménara
مطار مراكش المنارة
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Operator||ONDA and Royal Air Force|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||1,545 ft / 471 m|
|Statistics (2008, 2014)|
Marrakesh Menara Airport (Berber languages: ⴰⵣⴰⴳⵯⵣ ⵎⵕⵕⴰⴽⵛ ⵎⵉⵏⴰⵕⴰ, French: Aéroport Marrakech Ménara, Arabic: مطار مراكش المنارة, IATA: RAK, ICAO: GMMX) is an international airport serving Marrakesh, the capital city of the Marrakesh-Tensift-El Haouz region in Morocco. It is an international facility that receives several European flights as well as flights from Casablanca and some of the Arab world nations. The airport served over 4 million passengers in 2014.
During World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Air Transport Command as a hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel. It functioned as a stopover en route to Casablanca Airfield or to Agadir Airport on the North African Cairo-Dakar transport route for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel.
Menara Airport has two passenger terminals housed in one large building. A third terminal has been built. The existing T1/T2 offer a space of 42.000 m2 and has a designed capacity of 4.5 million passengers/year. The separate freight-terminal has 340m2 covered space The air terminals (1 and 2) are 22,000 m2 (236,806 sq ft) and designed to handle 2,500,000 passengers per year. Menara is one of the six airports in Morocco where ONDA offers its special VIP service Salon Convives de Marque.
Runway and apron
Aircraft parking space of 125,000 square metres (1,345,489 sq ft) supports up to fourteen Boeing 737s and four Boeing 747s. The cargo terminal is 340 m2 (3,660 sq ft) of covered space. The paved runway is laid out in the direction 10/28 is 3,100 by 45 metres (10,171 ft × 148 ft). It can receive all modern jetliners up to the Boeing 747 in size. The airport is equipped with an ILS Cat II landing system and offers the following radio navigation aids: VOR – DME – NDB.
Buses into the city
The Spanish bus company Alsa operates regular Route 19 buses every day between Marrakesh Menara airport and both the medina (the stop is in a row of bus stops opposite the Koutoubia Mosque) and the new town.
Airlines and destinations
- ^1 : Qatar Airways's flight from Doha to Marrakesh makes a stop in Casablanca. However, the flight from Marrakesh to Doha is nonstop.
- "Marrakech". ONDA. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Airport information for GMMX from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for RAK at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- ONDA Website: Presentation RAK, visited 10 June 2012
- ONDA website on the VIP service, visited 17 March 2012
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Air Arabia Maroc expands Fez routes from June 2017".
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Air Europa plans Marrakech launch in Dec 2017".
- Rédaction, La. "Air France lance Marrakech et Porto au départ de Paris CDG".
- "Aviso". noticias.terra.es.
- "British Airways launches Marrakech route from Heathrow".
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Laudamotion expands Berlin network in W18". Routesonline. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Ryanair to swap German bases with LaudaMotion". ch-aviation.com. 20 October 2018.
- Norwegian to open new connection from Helsinki to Marrakech lentoposti.fi (in Finnish). Retrieved 21 June 2017
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair expands Marrakech network in W18".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair W17 new routes as of 05MAR17".
- "Ryanair Launches Dublin S18 Schedule – 5 New Routes To Marrakech, Munich, Naples, Paphos & Stuttgart". Ryanair DAC. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Thomas Cook UK plans Manchester – Marrakech Nov 2018 launch".
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk. 5 November 2017. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "- TUI fly was Jetairfly.com". www.tuifly.be.
- "Turkish Airlines plans Marrakech service from late-Mar 2019". routesonline. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Source 2008 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Source 2007 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview movements aircraft MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview passengers MA Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine., PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview freight MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., PDF document
Media related to Marrakech-Menara Airport at Wikimedia Commons