Marrakesh Menara Airport
Marrakesh Menara Airport
Aéroport Marrakech Ménara
مطار مراكش المنارة
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Operator||ONDA and Royal Air Force|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||1,545 ft / 471 m|
|Statistics (2008, 2018)|
Marrakesh Menara Airport (Berber languages: ⴰⵣⴰⴳⵯⵣ ⵎⵕⵕⴰⴽⵛ ⵎⵉⵏⴰⵕⴰ, French: Aéroport Marrakech Ménara, Arabic: مطار مراكش المنارة, IATA: RAK, ICAO: GMMX) is an international airport serving Marrakesh, the capital city of the Marrakesh-Safi region in Morocco. It is an international facility that receives several European flights as well as flights from Casablanca and some of the Arab world nations. The airport served over 6.3 million passengers in 2019.
During World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Air Transport Command as a hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel. It functioned as a stopover en route to Casablanca Airfield or to Agadir Airport on the North African Cairo-Dakar transport route for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel.
Menara Airport has two passenger terminals housed in one large building. A third terminal has been built. The existing T1/T2 offer a space of 42,000 m2 and have a designed capacity of 9 million passengers/year. The separate freight-terminal has 340m2 covered space The air terminals (1 and 2) are 22,000 m2 (236,806 sq ft) and designed to handle 2,500,000 passengers per year. Menara is one of the six airports in Morocco where ONDA offers its special VIP service Salon Convives de Marque.
Runway and apron
Aircraft parking space of 125,000 square metres (1,345,489 sq ft) supports up to fourteen Boeing 737s and four Boeing 747s. The cargo terminal is 340 m2 (3,660 sq ft) of covered space. The paved runway is laid out in the direction 10/28 is 3,100 by 45 metres (10,171 ft × 148 ft). It can receive all modern jetliners up to the Boeing 747 in size. The airport is equipped with an ILS Cat II landing system and offers the following radio navigation aids: VOR – DME – NDB.
Buses into the city
The Spanish bus company Alsa operates regular Route 19 buses every day between Marrakesh Menara airport and both the medina (the stop is in a row of bus stops opposite the Koutoubia Mosque) and the new town.
Airlines and destinations
- ^1 : Qatar Airways' flight from Doha to Rabat makes a stop in Marrakech. However, the flight from Rabat to Doha is non-stop.
- "Marrakech". ONDA. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Airport information for GMMX from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for RAK at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- ONDA Website: Presentation RAK, visited 10 June 2012
- ONDA website on the VIP service, visited 17 March 2012
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Air Arabia Maroc expands Fez routes from June 2017".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Liu, Jim. "Air Arabia Maroc expands domestic service from Dec 2018". routesonline.com.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Air Europa plans Marrakech launch in Dec 2017".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Liu, Jim (19 November 2019). "Air Europa expands Morocco service in S20". routesonline.com.
- Rédaction, La. "Air France lance Marrakech et Porto au départ de Paris CDG".
- "Air Serbia to commence Morocco charters". exyuaviation.com.
- "Aviso". noticias.terra.es.
- "British Airways launches Marrakech route from Heathrow".
- "Bulgaria Air adds Marrakech charter in Sep 2018". Routesonline.com.
- Liu, Jim. "Eurowings W20 network additions". Routesonline. Retrieved 22 June 2020.
- Norwegian to open new connection from Helsinki to Marrakech lentoposti.fi (in Finnish). Retrieved 21 June 2017
- "Ryanair Launches Dublin S18 Schedule – 5 New Routes To Marrakech, Munich, Naples, Paphos & Stuttgart". Ryanair DAC. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair W17 new routes as of 05MAR17".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ryanair expands Marrakech network in W18".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Ryanair will connect Toulouse to Marrakech". air-journal.fr. 29 November 2019.
- Liu, Jim. "Transavia France launches Montpellier base in April 2020". Routesonline. Retrieved 3 December 2019.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk.
- "- TUI fly was Jetairfly.com". www.tuifly.be.
- Liu, Jim (4 December 2019). "TUIfly Maroc adds new Marrakech routes in S20". routesonline.com.
- Source 2008 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Source 2007 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview movements aircraft MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
- 2018 details from: Overview movements aircraft MA, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview passengers MA Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview freight MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
Media related to Marrakech-Menara Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Marrakech page at ONDA website
(has incorrect IATA code RAQ)