Marrakesh Menara Airport
Marrakesh Menara Airport
Aéroport Marrakech Ménara
مطار مراكش المنارة
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Operator||ONDA and Royal Air Force|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||1,545 ft / 471 m|
|Statistics (2008, 2018)|
Marrakesh Menara Airport (Berber languages: ⴰⵣⴰⴳⵯⵣ ⵎⵕⵕⴰⴽⵛ ⵎⵉⵏⴰⵕⴰ, French: Aéroport Marrakech Ménara, Arabic: مطار مراكش المنارة, IATA: RAK, ICAO: GMMX) is an international airport serving Marrakesh, the capital city of the Marrakesh-Safi region in Morocco. It is an international facility that receives several European flights as well as flights from Casablanca and some of the Arab world nations. The airport served over 6.3 million passengers in 2019.
During World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Air Transport Command as a hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel. It functioned as a stopover en route to Casablanca Airfield or to Agadir Airport on the North African Cairo-Dakar transport route for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel.
Menara Airport has two passenger terminals housed in one large building. A third terminal has been built. The existing T1/T2 offer a space of 42,000 m2 and have a designed capacity of 9 million passengers/year. The separate freight-terminal has 340m2 covered space The air terminals (1 and 2) are 22,000 m2 (236,806 sq ft) and designed to handle 2,500,000 passengers per year. Menara is one of the six airports in Morocco where ONDA offers its special VIP service Salon Convives de Marque.
Runway and apron
Aircraft parking space of 125,000 square metres (1,345,489 sq ft) supports up to fourteen Boeing 737s and four Boeing 747s. The cargo terminal is 340 m2 (3,660 sq ft) of covered space. The paved runway is laid out in the direction 10/28 is 3,100 by 45 metres (10,171 ft × 148 ft). It can receive all modern jetliners up to the Boeing 747 in size. The airport is equipped with an ILS Cat II landing system and offers the following radio navigation aids: VOR – DME – NDB.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate regular scheduled and charter flights at Marrakesh Menara Airport:
The Spanish bus company Alsa operates regular Route 19 buses every day between Marrakesh Menara airport and both the medina (the stop is in a row of bus stops opposite the Koutoubia Mosque) and the new town.
- "Marrakech". ONDA. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Airport information for GMMX from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for RAK at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- ONDA Website: Presentation RAK, visited 10 June 2012
- ONDA website on the VIP service, visited 17 March 2012
- "Flight schedule".
- "Air Arabia Maroc expands Fez routes from June 2017".
- "AirBaltic Announces New Winter Destination – Marrakesh". 14 June 2022.
- "Air Europa plans Marrakech launch in Dec 2017".
- Liu, Jim (19 November 2019). "Air Europa expands Morocco service in S20". routesonline.com.
- "Air France lance Marrakech et Porto au départ de Paris CDG".
- "Charter flights from Bucharest to Marrakech from March 2021". boardingpass.ro. 12 February 2021.
- "El al Launches Two Routes from Israel to Morocco".
- "Austrian Airlines gibt Ausblick auf Winterflugplan 2022/2023 | airportzentrale.de".
- "Binter Expands Funchal/Madeira Network In 3Q22". Aeroroutes. Retrieved 31 March 2022.
- "Aviso". noticias.terra.es.
- "British Airways launches Marrakech route from Heathrow".
- "Brussels Airlines Grows Sun Destination Schedules This Winter". simpleflying.com. 28 August 2021.
- "Bulgaria Air adds Marrakech charter in Sep 2018". Routesonline.com.
- "EasyJet lança 13 novas rotas a partir de Lisboa". 27 July 2022.
- "מרוקו, הנה אנחנו באים: היום טיסות ישירות ראשונות מנתב"ג - וואלה! תיירות" (in Hebrew). 25 July 2021.
- "Eurowings Moves Marrakech Service Additions to April 2023".
- Umstellung des touristischen Kurz- und Mittelstreckenangebots auf Eurowings Discover (PDF). Lufthansa Experts (Report) (in German). Cologne: Lufthansa Group. 6 September 2021.[bare URL PDF]
- "Norwegian Resumes 4 Seasonal Routes from Stockholm in NW22".
- "Brussels Airport presents Summer 2022 schedule; 6 new destinations and 4 new airlines". 17 March 2022.
- "Royal Air Maroc Adds Marrakech – Paris CDG Service in NW22".
- "Ryanair Launches Dublin S18 Schedule – 5 New Routes To Marrakech, Munich, Naples, Paphos & Stuttgart". Ryanair DAC. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- Davies, Phil (19 October 2021). "Ryanair to serve Marrakech from Edinburgh by Christmas". Travel Weekly. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "Rayanir website". Ryanair.com.[not specific enough to verify]
- "Ryanair's Eddie Wilson: " You've got to give people confidence" | CAPA". Centreforaviation.com. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "Ryanair W17 new routes as of 05MAR17".
- "Ryanair expands Marrakech network in W18".
- "Ryanair will connect Toulouse to Marrakech". air-journal.fr. 29 November 2019.
- "Cet hiver, Transavia ouvre 3 nouvelles lignes internationales au départ de Marseille - Région - Société - Maritima.Info". 23 August 2022.
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk.
- "- TUI fly was Jetairfly.com". www.tuifly.be.
- Liu, Jim (4 December 2019). "TUIfly Maroc adds new Marrakech routes in S20". routesonline.com.
- "Meer TUI-vluchten vanuit Rotterdam". 21 April 2022.
- "Morocco World News | Morocco news, Morocco Latest News".
- "Volotea volará desde Tenerife, Fuerteventura y Lanzarote a Lille". 21 July 2022.
- "Vueling : du nouveau à Paris et Marrakech | Air Journal". Air-journal.fr. 8 March 2022. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "Vueling lance en juillet une nouvelle ligne reliant Séville à Marrakech". 10 January 2020.
- "Wizz Air to launch Sharm el Sheikh this winter".
- Tempo di lettura 2 minuti (13 May 2021). "Wizz Air apre base a Roma Fiumicino - WEtravel". Wetravel.biz. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- Source 2008 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Source 2007 details: ONDA site[permanent dead link]
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview movements aircraft MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
- 2018 details from: Overview movements aircraft MA, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview passengers MA Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview freight MA Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, PDF document
Media related to Marrakech-Menara Airport at Wikimedia Commons