Marriott Hotels & Resorts
|Founder||J. Willard Marriott|
|Headquarters||Bethesda, Maryland, United States|
Number of locations
|567 hotels (December 31, 2018)|
Marriott Hotels & Resorts is Marriott International's flagship brand of full-service hotels and resorts. The company, based in Bethesda, Maryland, is repeatedly included on the Forbes list of best companies to work for, and it was voted the fourth best company to work for in the UK by The Times in 2009. As of December 31, 2018, there were 567 hotels and resorts with 201,366 rooms operating under the brand. The loyalty program is called Marriott Bonvoy.
History and current operation
The Marriott chain began with two motels in the 1950s. The first opened as a Quality Inn airport motel near Washington D.C. and another motel nearby, the Twin Bridges, a few years later. With the opening of the second motel, Marriott was born as a brand name. The Twin Bridges property was demolished in 1990, but the Key Bridge property still operates, but as a full-service hotel.
In 1967, Marriott opened its first resort hotel, Camelback Inn, in Arizona, USA. Marriott Hotels & Resorts expanded outside of the United States for the first time in 1969 with the opening of the Marriott in Acapulco, Mexico.
By 1975, Marriott Hotels & Resorts had expanded to Europe, with the Amsterdam Marriott hotel opening that year.
In 1976, Marriott opened two Great America theme parks but sold to Six Flags in 1984.
In these first several decades, Marriott International owned and managed many of the hotels within its portfolio. In 1993, the company decided to spin off the real estate ownership operations as a new company, Host Marriott, while retaining hotel management services under the Marriott International company name.
By 1999, there were over 360 Marriott Hotels & Resorts in 47 countries, and in 2012 Marriott Hotels & Resorts celebrated the opening of the 500th Marriott Hotels & Resorts property, the Pune Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre, in Pune, India. In April 2014, Marriott Hotels & Resorts acquired The Protea Hotel Group in South Africa, rebranding the Protea Hotels name to Protea Hotels By Marriott.
Location of international properties
In September 2005, Marriott Hotels & Resorts unveiled its first new room designs in ten years. Dubbed mSpot, the new rooms feature clean lines and updated technology.
Marriott hotel in Guam
Marriott hotel in Singapore
Marriott hotel in Toronto, Canada
Marriott hotel in Vancouver, Canada
Location of properties in the US
- Marriott jumps 10 places in the Sunday Times Best big companies to work for list[permanent dead link]
- "Find Marriott Hotels & Resorts Worldwide". Marriott Hotels & Resorts. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Hitting the mSpot Archived 2007-02-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Brisbane Marriott Hotel. "Brisbane, Australia Hotels | Brisbane Marriott HotelRecommended". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Melbourne Marriott Hotel. "Luxury Hotel Melbourne | Melbourne Marriott Hotel". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay. "Sydney Hotel | Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa. "Gold Coast, Australia, Hotels | Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Marriott Niagara Falls Hotel Fallsview & Spa | Canadian Fallsview". Niagarafallsmarriott.com. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Marriott hotel - Jinqiao Five Star Hotel - Shanghai Business Hotel - MICE Hotel". Marriott.
- "Santa Marta Marriott Resort Playa Dormida". Marriott. Retrieved 2019-08-13.
- "Hotel Tulsa, Oklahoma - Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills". Marriott.
- "Find Tennessee Marriott Hotels & Resorts hotels by Marriott".
- "Milwaukee Hotel - Milwaukee Marriott Downtown". Marriott.
- "Hotels in Milwaukee, WI - Hotels Milwaukee, WI - Milwaukee, WI Hotels". Marriott.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marriott hotels.|