Marsha Collier at iCitizen in March 2008
|Occupation||Author, columnist, radio host|
Marsha Collier (born in New York City) is an author, radio personality, podcast host, and educator specializing in technology and encouraging use of the Internet for marketing and E-commerce. In 2003, her book Starting an eBay Business For Dummies appeared on the BusinessWeek list of best-selling paperback business books. In December 2011, her book Ultimate Online Customer Service Guide: How to Connect with Your Customers to Sell More ranked #4 among "What Corporate America Is Reading." By 2013, her book eBay For Dummies was one of the best sellers on the topic. As of 2016, with over 1 million copies of her books in print, she was the all-time best selling eBay author. She hosts the Computer and Technology Radio podcast with broadcaster Mark Cohen.
Before her online career began, Collier owned and operated her own marketing and advertising firm, The Collier Company, and won numerous awards including “Small Businessperson of the Year” accolades from several organizations. Collier got started on eBay during the site’s early years and became one of the site’s first successful sellers. She is an eBay Top Rated Seller.
The first edition of eBay For Dummies was published in 1999 (the first unofficial book on eBay). She co-authored that edition with Roland Woerner and Stephanie Becker and became sole author of the series on the second edition. In 2001, Collier authored the first book targeting individuals interested in making eBay their full-time profession, Starting an eBay Business For Dummies.
In December 2005, Collier hosted the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) Public television program Making Your Fortune Online, a complete guide to starting and operating an online business. The two-hour program, shot in front of a live studio audience in San Francisco, was a full seminar on conceiving a business idea, finding products or services to sell, finding the best sites for your products, and understanding the legal, operational and tax issues related to having a successful online business.
In 2008, Collier was named one of 20 iCitizens in the book The Open Brand: When Push Comes to Pull in a Web-Made World by Kelly Mooney. That same year, she gave the luncheon keynote at the Online Market World conference in San Francisco.
Collier has spoken at universities and conferences translating the use of social media into social commerce, including:
- 140 Character Conference London (2009)
- Parallels Cloud Summit Keynote (2012)
- SXSW 2013: Real Talk: The Social Customer Service Shift
- Retail Global 2014
- IBM Social Business Futurists Insights Series 3-minute YouTube video (2015)
She has also been named in online lists:
- Brand Quarterly Magazine: 50 Marketing Leaders Over 50 2014, 2015
- Scott Goodson in Forbes: Must-Follow Marketing Minds On Twitter 2014
- Huffington Post: 100 Must Follow On Twitter 2014
- eBay For Dummies 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Twitter and Facebook For Seniors For Dummies 2010, 2014
- eBay Business All-in-One for Dummies 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013
- Social Media Commerce For Dummies 2012
- Facebook fúr Senioren Fúr Dummies (Germany) 2012
- The Ultimate Online Customer Service Guide: How to Connect with your Customers to Sell More 2011 (Audible 2012)
- Facebook fúr Senioren Fúr Dummies (Germany) 2012
- AARP Facebook: Tech To Connect 2012
- eBay For Seniors For Dummies 2009
- Making Money on eBay For Dummies (Pocket Edition) 2009
- eBay PowerSeller Business Practices For Dummies 2008
- eBay Timesaving Techniques For Dummies 2004
- eBay Listings That Sell For Dummies 2006
- Starting an eBay Business For Dummies 2001, 2004, 2011
- Starting an E-Bay Business for Dummies (Playaway Audio) 2009
- PayPal For Dummies (forward) 2005
- eBay Bargain Shopping For Dummies 2003
- Santa Shops on eBay 2006
- eBay Para Dummies (Spanish) 2004
- eBay-Schnappchen Fur Dummies (German) 2004
- Mein eBay-Shop (German) 2005
- 开创你的eBay商务 玛莎•科莉尔，，，美国 (Chinese) 2007
- eBay Pour Les Nuls (French) 2006
- eBay Per Negati (Italian) 2008
- eBay For Dummies adapted for Australia 2006
- eBay For Canadians For Dummies 2006, 2008
- Starting an eBay Business For Canadians For Dummies 2006, 2008
- eBay.co.uk For Dummies 2006, 2008
- Starting a Business on eBay.co.uk for Dummies 2006, 2008
- eBay.co.uk Business All-in-One for Dummies 2009
- The Internet GigaBook For Dummies (Co-Author) 2004
- Spira, Julie. "The Social Media Wedding of Marsha Collier and Curt Buthman". Huffington Post. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Distinguished Employees Honored at 52nd Annual Staff Service and Recognition of Excellence Awards". California State University Northridge. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Want to Wow a Crowd? Learn From These 8 Stars". 5 March 2015.
- "The BusinessWeek Best-Seller List". Archived from the original on October 18, 2009. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Wiley Announces Third Edition to Expert Author Marsha Collier's Bestselling Book: eBay Business All-in-One For Dummies®". Prweb.com. 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "eBay For Dummies, 8th Edition:Book Information - For Dummies". Dummies.com. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- Spira, Julie (2013-11-12). "...And the Bride Wore Google Glass". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Collier, Marsha (10 September 2018). "5 Tips for Mentor Relationships that Produce Positive Results".
- "eBay Feedback Profile for marsha_c". Feedback.ebay.com. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Making Your Fortune Online with Marsha Collier". KQED Public Media. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "The Open Brand: When Push Comes to Pull in a Web-Made World - Kelly Mooney, Nita Rollins - Google Books". Books.google.com. 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Small and Growing Businesses Flock to Online Market World for Sales and Marketing Guidance That Transcends the Soft Economy". Business Wire. Berkshire Hathaway. September 10, 2008. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "Getting Social: Connecting With Customers on Social Media - OPEN Forum". www.americanexpress.com.
- "The Name Game: Can Your Business Become the Next Household Name? - OPEN Forum". www.americanexpress.com.
- "140 Character Conference". London.140conf.com. 2009-09-21. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Real Talk: The Social Customer Service Shift | Schedule | sxsw.com". Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Retail Global connecting the world of commerce". Retailglobal.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- IBM Social Business (2015-03-25), Futurists Insights Series - Marsha Collier, retrieved 2016-03-25
- "Brand Quarterly Issue 13 by Vesey Creative". issuu. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "Brand Quarterly's 2015 50 Marketing Thought Leaders Over 50 List - Brand Quarterly". 17 November 2015.
- "Must-Follow Marketing Minds On Twitter 2014". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- "100 Must Follow On Twitter 2014 [SLIDE DECK]". Huffingtonpost.com. 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2016-03-24.