This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chapman performing in Nashville (2009)
|Born||January 7, 1949|
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, Author, Actress|
Marshall Chapman was born on January 7, 1949 in Spartanburg, South Carolina. She was the daughter of a cotton mill owner. After she attended a concert by Elvis Presley in 1956, she became interested in rock and roll. She was educated at the Salem Academy in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She then graduated from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee in 1971.
She embarked upon a music career in the 1970s. Her songs have been recorded by such diverse artists as Conway Twitty, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Buffett, Emmylou Harris, Wynonna, Jessi Colter, John Hiatt, Dion, Olivia Newton-John, Irma Thomas, and Ronnie Milsap. Her song "Betty’s Bein’ Bad" was a No. 1 hit for Sawyer Brown.
Her 1978 album, Jaded Virgin (Epic), was voted "Record of the Year" by Stereo Review. In 1998, Marshall and Matraca Berg contributed fourteen songs to Good Ol’ Girls, a country musical based on the stories of Lee Smith and Jill McCorkle. The musical continues to play theaters throughout the South.
She has written two books. Her memoir, Goodbye, Little Rock and Roller, was published in 2003 by St. Martin’s Press. Her second book, They Came to Nashville, was published in 2010 by Vanderbilt University Press – Country Music Foundation Press. It is a 2010 Fall Okra Pick of the Southern Independent Booksellers Association.
- Me, I'm Feelin' Free - Epic/CBS - 1977
- Jaded Virgin - Epic/CBS - 1978
- Marshall - Epic - 1979
- Take It On Home - Rounder - 1982
- Dirty Linen - Tall Girl - 1987
- Inside Job - Tall Girl - 1991
- It’s About Time… - Island/Margaritaville - 1995
- Love Slave - Island - 1996
- Goodbye, Little Rock And Roller - Tall Girl - 2003
- Live! The Bitter End - Tall Girl - 2004
- Mellowicious! - Thirty Tigers/Tallgirl - 2006
- Big Lonesome - Tall Girl - 2011
- Blaze Of Glory - Tall Girl - 2013 - May 28 release 
- Marshall was named Martha Marshall Chapman II, in part for her paternal grandmother. Had she been a boy, her name was to have been James Alfred Chapman IV.
- Chapman, Marshall (2003). Goodbye, Little Rock and Roller (1st ed.). New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-31568-6.
- Joann S. Lublin, Daniel Golden, Vanderbilt Reins In Lavish Spending By Star Chancellor, The Wall Street Journal, September 26, 2006
- Listing of famous Vanderbilt alumni Vanderbilt University: List of Famous Alumni
- Amazon.com listing for They Came to Nashville.
- SIBA 2010 Okra Picks.
- Tall Girl Website