Marshall Field Garden Apartments
Marshall Field Garden Apartments
Looking south on Sedgwick Street at Blackhawk Street
Location in Chicago
|Location||1336--1452 Sedgwick St., 1337--1453 Hudson Ave., 400--424 Evergreen St. and 401--425 Blackhawk St., Chicago, Illinois|
|Area||5 acres (2.0 ha)|
|Architect||Andrew J. Thomas|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements|
|NRHP Reference #||91001691|
|Added to NRHP||December 17, 1991|
The Marshall Field Garden Apartments is a large non-governmental subsidized housing project in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. The project occupies two square city blocks and was the largest moderate-income housing development in the U.S. at the time of construction in 1929. Marshall Field Garden Apartments has 628 units within 10 buildings.
The project was developed by the estate of Marshall Field, entrepreneur and founder of the Chicago Marshall Field's department store chain. The project was directed by Marshall Field III. Its aim was not only to provide housing at a reasonable cost but also to provide a catalyst for renewal of the surrounding area. Marshall Field Garden Apartments was at the time of construction one of two large philanthropic housing developments in Chicago. The other was Michigan Boulevard Garden Apartments, at 47th and Michigan. Both were built in 1929 and both were modeled after the Dunbar Apartments built by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., in 1926 in Harlem, New York City.
Marshall Field Garden Apartments was meant to be the first of three or four similar projects, but the Great Depression kept those plans from coming to fruition. Marshall had hoped to provide low cost housing but land acquisition and construction cost overruns pushed the rent into the moderate range.
In 1991, the apartments were deteriorated, and were sold to private investors with a clause that specified that they would remain available only to low income tenants for 25 years.
Marshall Field Garden Apartments is located on 1450 North Sedgwick in Chicago, Illinois 60610. Marshall Field Gardens Apartments is a populated place located in Cook County at a latitude of 41.908 and longitude -87.639.The elevation is 594 feet. Marshall Field Garden Apartments appears on the Chicago Loop U.S. Geological Survey Map. Cook County is the Central Time Zone (UTC -6 hours) which Marshall Fields Gardens Apartments have. 
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Susan Benjamin (c. 1991). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Marshall Field Garden Apartments" (PDF). Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Devereux Bowly, Jr. "Subsidized Housing". The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- "Related to Acquire, Rehab 3,000 Units". Housing Finance. 2015-04-29. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- Kusisto, Laura (2015-04-28). "Related Buys Affordable Housing Portfolio". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- Jeremy Appel (1 August 1999). "High-tech security in low-income housing". SecuritySolutions.com. Archived from the original on 23 September 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2009.