Sometimes known as the father of house music, Jefferson was originally a record producer in the Universal Recording Studios in Chicago, where he met the owner of Trax Records, Larry Sherman. Jefferson's 1986 single for Trax, "Move Your Body (The House-Music Anthem)," the first house song to use piano, was a popular and influential song in the genre. During the late-1980s heyday of house music he recorded solo and collaborative material under various names such as Virgo, Jungle Wonz, Truth, and On The House. Jefferson's deep house productions include songs by CeCe Rogers and Sterling Void, and Ten City's first two albums. In March 1987, the British music magazine NME reported that Jefferson and Frankie Knuckles were in the UK for the first house-music tour.
"Move Your Body" appeared in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on house-music radio station SF-UR. This song also appeared in Michael Winterbottom's film 24 Hour Party People and in the 1991 documentary film Paris is Burning.
Jefferson now lives in Manchester, UK.
- "Marshall Jefferson – The DJ List". www.thedjlist.com. Retrieved February 10, 2007.
- Bidder, Sean (June 1999). House: the Rough Guide. London: Rough Guides Ltd. pp. 175–179.
- "Marshall Jefferson – Deejay Booking". Archived from the original on September 23, 2011. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- Tobler, John (1992). NME Rock 'N' Roll Years (1st ed.). London: Reed International Books Ltd. p. 428. CN 5585.
- "Marshall Jefferson bio". MN2S Management. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- Future Music (September 7, 2016). "Marshall Jefferson on making music then and now, and why he'd rather work alone". Music Radar. Archived from the original on November 14, 2016.
- Marshall Jefferson at Discogs
- Video: Paul Morley interview with Marshall Jefferson, The Observer, 2010
- on YouTube
- Marshall Jefferson 2012 Audio Interview at Soulinterviews.com
|This article on an American electronic musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a house musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|