- For the American Bishop of the Methodist Church, see Marshall Russell Reed.
Photo courtesy of B-Westerns.com
|Born||Marshall Jewel Reed
May 28, 1917
Englewood, Colorado, U.S.
|Died||April 15, 1980
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Years active||1943 - 1978|
|Spouse(s)||Carlyn Miller (?-1980) (his death)|
Marshall Jewel Reed (May 28, 1917 – April 15, 1980) was an American actor who appeared in over 200 films between 1943 and 1978. He was born in Englewood, Colorado.
Reed's parents were Walter George Reed and Ruth Dustin. By age 10, he was acting in children's theater, and he managed two drama groups while he was in high school. Before becoming a professional actor, "he held various odd jobs such as horse trainer, meter reader, bookkeeper, and mail clerk."
Summer stock theatre at Elitch Gardens in Denver, Colorado, provided Reed's first professional experience with acting. Besides appearing in plays there, he made costumes and constructed scenery. Later he worked with other theatrical groups in the Denver area, writing and producing as well as acting. Still later, he had his own stock company on the West Coast and acted in summer stock in New York and Los Angeles.
An athletic stuntman, Reed handled much of his own fighting and riding. Over the years, he did dozens of westerns and cliffhanger serials for Columbia and Republic studios, in which he was usually cast as action heavies. He appeared in a rare sympathetic role as Buffalo Bill Cody in the 1954 serial Riding with Buffalo Bill.
Between the 1950s and 1970s, Reed was a familiar face in popular TV series, particularly in the action and drama genres. He played Inspector Fred Asher in the television version of The Lineup. In 1978 he costarred in Till Death, his last film appearance.
- The Tiger Woman (1944)
- Haunted Harbor (1944)
- Zorro's Black Whip (1944)
- Blackhawk (1952)
- Ghost of Zorro (1949)
- Pirates of the High Seas (1950)
- Mysterious Island (1951)
- Son of Geronimo (1952)
- The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd (1953)
- Gunfighters of the Northwest (1954)
- Riding with Buffalo Bill (1954)
- The Marshal of Gunsight Pass (1950)
- The Gene Autry Show (1950–54)
- The Cisco Kid (1950–55)
- The Range Rider (1951–53)
- The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok (1951–54)
- Boston Blackie (1951)
- Hopalong Cassidy (1952–53)
- The Adventures of Kit Carson (1952–54)
- The Lone Ranger (1952–55)
- Adventures of Superman (1953–54)
- Annie Oakley (1954)
- The Lineup (1954–59)
- Captain Midnight (1955)
- Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe (1955)
- Tightrope (1960)
- Bat Masterson (1960)
- Shirley Temple's Storybook (1960)
- Ripcord (1961)
- Lassie (1961)
- Bonanza (1961–62)
- Lawman (1962)
- Bronco (1962)
- Checkmate (1962)
- Maverick (1962)
- Gunsmoke (1962)
- Perry Mason (1962–63)
- Laramie (1963)
- Death Valley Days (1969–70)
- Marcus Welby, M.D. (1969/1973)
- Dragnet (1969–77)
- Adam-12 (1970–71)
- The Virginian (1971)
- Kung Fu (1975)