Marshall Sklare Award
The Marshall Sklare Award is an annual honor of the Association for the Social Scientific Study of Jewry (ASSJ). The ASSJ seeks to recognize "a senior scholar who has made a significant scholarly contribution to the social scientific study of Jewry." In most cases, the recipient has given a scholarly address. In recent years, the honored scholar has presented the address at the annual meeting of the Association for Jewish Studies.
The award is named in memory of the "founding father of American Jewish sociology" Marshall Sklare (1921-1992), who had been Klutznick Family Professor of Contemporary Jewish Studies and Sociology at Brandeis University.
Past recipients, field of study, and the title of their scholarly paper have been:
- 1992, Sidney Goldstein, Demography
- 1993, Seymour Martin Lipset, Sociology
- 1994, Celia Heller, History
- 1995, Daniel Elazar, Political Science
- 1996, Samuel Klausner, Sociology
- 1997, Walter Zenner, Anthropology, "The Ethnography of Diaspora: Studying Syrian Jewry"
- 1998, Bernard Reisman, Communal Service
- 1999, Sergio DellaPergola, Demography, "Thoughts of a Jewish Demographer in the Year 2000"
- 2000, Charles Liebman, Political Science, "Some Research Proposals for the Study of American Jews"
- 2001, Calvin Goldscheider, Sociology and Demography, "Social Science and the Jews: A Research Agenda for the Next Generation"
- 2002, Jonathan Sarna, History, "From Past to Present: Contemporary Lessons from the Study of American Judaism"
- 2003, Samuel Heilman, Sociology, "How did Fundamentalism Manage to Infiltrate Contemporary Orthodoxy?"
- 2004, Egon Mayer, Sociology
- 2005, Elihu Katz, Communications, "Two Dilemmas of Religious Identity and Practice among Israeli Jews"
- 2006, Deborah Dash Moore, History, "On City Streets"
- 2007, Barry R. Chiswick, Economics, "The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Ph.D."
- 2008, Paul Ritterband, Sociology
- 2009, Charles Kadushin, Social Network Analysis, "Social Networks and Jews"
- 2010, Steven M. Cohen, Sociology, "The Demise of the 'Good Jew'"
- 2011, Riv-Ellen Prell, Anthropology, "Boundaries, Margins and Norms: The Intellectual Stakes in the Study of American Jewish Culture(s)"
- 2012, Leonard Saxe, Social Psychology, "Reflections on the Science of the Social Scientific Study of Jewry"
- 2013, Morton Weinfeld, Sociology, "If Canada and Israel are at War, Who Gets My Support? Challenges of Competing Diaspora Loyalties"
- 2014, Sylvia Barack Fishman, Sociology, "American Jewishness Today: Identity and Transmissibility in an Open World"
- 2015, Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Performance Studies, "The Ethnographer in the Museum: Creating the Polin Museum of the History of Polish Jews"
- 2016, Bruce Phillips, Sociology
- 2017, Judit Bokser Liwerant, Political Science
- 2018, Arnold Eisen, Religious Studies
- "Marshall Sklare, 70, an Authority On Sociology of American Jewry - New York Times". The New York Times. 1992-03-13. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- "Association for the Scientific Study of Jewry". Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- AJS conference program, 2007
- "Homepage at Economics Faculty, UIC". Retrieved 2008-01-27.