Marsiling–Yew Tee Group Representation Constituency
|Group Representation Constituency|
for the Parliament of Singapore
|Region||North and West Regions, Singapore|
|Created||24 July 2015|
|Party||People's Action Party|
|Town Council||Marsiling–Yew Tee|
The Marsiling–Yew Tee Group Representation Constituency is a four-member Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the north-western part of Singapore. The constituency encompasses Chua Chu Kang (Yew Tee), Sungei Kadut Industrial Area, Kranji, Woodlands Checkpoint, and the west part of Woodlands. The four divisions of the GRC: Limbang, Marsiling, Yew Tee and Woodgrove. The current MPs are Lawrence Wong, Alex Yam, Hany Soh and Zaqy Mohamad from the People's Action Party (PAP).
On 7 August 2017, Halimah Yacob resigned as Member of Parliament (MP) and as Speaker of Parliament in order to contest in the 2017 Singapore presidential election, and elected as the 8th President of Singapore due to a walkover on the nomination day on 13 September 2017.
On 8 August 2017, Zaqy Mohamad, who is also an MP for Chua Chu Kang GRC, was appointed as grassroots advisor, before becoming MP for Marsiling 3 years later, under the government-linked People's Association, for Halimah's Marsiling ward. His appointment has caused controversy, as Halimah was the sole minority MP for Marsiling–Yew Tee GRC and a grassroots advisor is not the same as having an MP elected by residents of the constituency. While the government maintains that it is legal to forgo the calling of a by-election, one of the original purposes of the GRC system was to ensure minority representation. The High Court dismissed a bid by the Singapore Democratic Party assistant treasurer Wong Souk Yee for a by-election to be called. Justice Chua Lee Ming presided on the hearing. The appeal was subsequently dismissed by the Court of Appeal.
Members of Parliament
|Election||Division||Members of Parliament||Party|
^ Yacob resigned her post on 7 August 2017 in order to contest in the 2017 Presidential Elections; However, no by-election was called on the ground since it was a Group Representation Constituency, and the ward was temporarily substituted by Zaqy Mohamad as grassroots adviser not MP, who was also the Chua Chu Kang GRC MP.
Note : Elections Department Singapore do not include rejected votes for calculation of candidate's vote share. Hence, the total of all candidates' vote share will be 100%.
Elections in 2010s
Ong Teng Koon
|SDP||Wong Souk Yee
|PAP win (new seat)|
Elections in 2020s
Khung Wai Yeen
- "PM Lee accepts Halimah Yacob's resignation from the PAP". Channel NewsAsia. 7 August 2017. Archived from the original on 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Halimah Yacob to be sworn in as Singapore's 8th President on Thursday: PMO (Straits Times Newspaper) Retrieved September 13th, 2017.
- Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh (9 August 2017). "Zaqy to take over Marsiling grassroots adviser role". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 10 August 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh (7 Feb 2017). "No by-election if minority MP leaves GRC, says Chun Sing". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 22 July 2017. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "High Court throws out SDP assistant treasurer's bid for Marsiling–Yew Tee by-election". TODAYonline. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Lim, Adrian (10 April 2019). "Court of Appeal dismisses bid for by-election to be called in Marsiling–Yew Tee GRC". The Straits Times. Retrieved 21 September 2019.