|Born||May 21, 1961|
|Alma mater||University of North Dakota
|Occupation||CEO of Emerging Global Advisors (EGA)|
Marten Hoekstra (born May 21, 1961) is Chief Executive Officer of Emerging Global Advisors (EGA), an emerging market asset management company and advisor to the EGShares family of exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Prior to joining EGA, Hoekstra spent 26 years at UBS AG and PaineWebber, one of the Swiss bank's predecessor firms.
In February 2011, Marten Hoekstra joined New York-based Emerging Global Advisors as Chief Executive Officer. The firm was founded in September 2008 by Robert Holderith who serves as President and Head of Product Development. Through the EGShares brand, EGA offers core, thematic, and sector emerging market ETFs.
Hoekstra’s career at UBS AG and PaineWebber, which began in 1982, included roles as a financial advisor and in executive management in the United States and Switzerland. In July 2005, five years after PaineWebber was acquired by UBS, Hoekstra was named Head of the Wealth Management business in the US. He was subsequently appointed CEO of Wealth Management Americas (WMA) and Deputy CEO of Global Wealth Management & Business Banking. Hoekstra was a member of UBS AG's Group Executive Board. When he left UBS in October 2009, WMA had approximately $700 billion in client assets and 18,000 employees.
Education & Affiliations
Hoekstra previously served as a Director of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). He graduated from the University of North Dakota with a bachelor's degree in Political Science and earned a Masters in Business Administration from Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.
- . Business Wire. 2011-02-07 http://philly.citybizlist.com/2/2011/2/7/Emerging-Global-Advisors-Appoints-Marten-Hoekstra-CEO.aspx. Retrieved 2012-05-21. Missing or empty
- "Marten Hoekstra". NYTimes. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- . 2011-02-05 http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970204548504576120113716073764.html. Retrieved 2012-05-21. Missing or empty
- (PDF). 2009-11-03 http://www.static-ubs.com/global/en/about_ubs/investor_relations/quarterly_reporting/2009/_jcr_content/par/table_0.1572351934.file/dGFibGVUZXh0PS9jb250ZW50L2RhbS91YnMvZ2xvYmFsL2Fib3V0X3Vicy9pbnZlc3Rvcl9yZWxhdGlvbnMvMTcyMjY1XzNRMDkucGRm/172265_3Q09.pdf. Retrieved 2012-05-21. Missing or empty
- http://www.bergencountysociety.com/Get-Involved/Calendar/NCS-Bergen-County-Chapter-Meeting.aspx?SD=11/4/2011&ED=11/4/2011&P=0. Retrieved 2012-05-21. Missing or empty