Longenecker was born in Oklahoma City and studied at University of California Los Angeles and the Claremont Graduate School. She also undertook post-graduate research in Japan, studying under Shoji Hamada and Tatsuzo Shimaoka.
- Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette, 2003.
- Inducted into the San Diego Women's Hall of Fame, 2011.
- Bell, Diane (9 May 2010). "Q&A: Diane Bell talks to Martha Longenecker". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Longenecker, Martha W. "United States Public Records Index". Family Search. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Mingei International Museum Founder Martha Longenecker Has Died
- Colker, David (2013-11-07). "Martha Longenecker dies at 93; founder of Mingei International Museum". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Martha W. Longenecker". Women's International Center. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Museum Founder - Martha Longenecker". Mingei International Museum. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "San Diego County Women's Hall of Fame". Ashley Gardner. Retrieved 2012-04-27.