Dr. Martha J. Somerman, Director of NIDCR, NIH
13 March 1947
Brooklyn, N.Y., U.S.A.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
Martha Somerman was born on March 13, 1947, in Brooklyn, N.Y., U.S.A. She was appointed the Director of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) in 2011. She was formerly the Dean of the School of Dentistry at the University of Washington, a position she held from 2002.
Prior to that appointment, she was Professor and Chair of Periodontics/Prevention and Geriatrics at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Dr. Somerman was the President of the American Association for Dental Research from 2001 to 2002.
Martha Somerman gained a Bachelor of Arts (BA) from New York University, Master of Science (MS) from Hunter College, Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) from New York University, and a PhD from the University of Rochester.
In 2011, Harvard University awarded Martha Somerman the Paul Goldhaber Award, which is presented annually to "an individual who is held in the highest international esteem in his or her field relating to oral and systemic health", acknowledging her work in the field of the regeneration of hard and soft tissues.
- "Martha J. Somerman". American Association of Dental Research. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "Martha J. Somerman, D.D.S., Ph.D., Named Director of the NIDCR". National Institutes of Health. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "A conversation with Martha Somerman, Dean of the School of Dentistry". University of Washington. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "Martha J. Somerman, D.D.S, Ph.D." NIH Intramural Research Program. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine. "Recognition Ceremony 2011". Retrieved March 13, 2015.