Martiño Rivas López
10 January 1985
|Other names||Martín Rivas|
|Partner(s)||Sara Casanova (...-2008) Irene Escolar Navarro (2008-2016)|
Martiño Rivas López (born 10 January 1985), also known as Martín Rivas, is a Spanish actor. He is best known for his performance as Marcos Novoa Pazos in the Antena 3 series The Boarding School (Spanish: El internado) and for his role in The Blind Sunflowers (Los girasoles ciegos), which earned him a nomination for the Goya Award for Best New Actor. From 2017 to 2020, he starred in the Netflix original series Las Chicas del Cable as Carlos Cifuentes.
Early life and education
Rivas was born Martiño Rivas López on 10 January 1985 in Vimianzo, A Coruña, Galicia, Spain. He is the only son of Manuel Rivas, a writer and journalist, and María Isabel López Mariño. Rivas graduated from high school in London, and subsequently studied audiovisual communications at the University of Santiago de Compostela. He is fluent in Spanish, Galician and English. Rivas was criticized for speaking Spanish with a Galician accent.
Rivas began his career as a child actor in 1998 with the TVG series Mareas vivas (English: Live Tides), made in the Galician language. In 2005, he appeared in another Galician–language series, Maridos e mulleres (Husbands And Wives), also produced by TVG.
Rivas came to wider media attention in 2006, when he landed the role of Moisés in the LaSexta series SMS, opposite Yon González, Amaia Salamanca, Mario Casas, and others. From 2007 to 2010, Rivas portrayed Marcos Novoa Pazos in the Antena 3 series El internado (The Boarding School), which brought him international popularity.
In 2008, Rivas starred in José Luis Cuerda's film Los girasoles ciegos (The Blind Sunflowers) opposite Javier Cámara and Maribel Verdú, which earned him a nomination for the Goya Award for Best New Actor. The following year, he appeared in the short film Universos (Universes) along with his El internado fellow Blanca Suárez.
From 2010 to 2011, Rivas trained at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama in London, graduating with a Masters in Classical Acting. In 2011, Rivas made his professional stage debut in Dracula, in which he portrayed Jonathan Harker. He also stars in the television series El don de Alba (Alba's Gift) on Telecinco.
He has a major, continuing role in Las Chicas del Cable as Carlos Cifuentes; its first season premiered on Netflix in April 2017. Its fifth season is to premier in 2020.
In 2010, Rivas became ambassador for Spanish fashion designer Purificación García. He made his first campaign for the 2010 Spring/Summer collection with Ángela Molina. The same year, he also posed for the famous calendar Larios de la Moda.
|Mareas vivas||Live Tides||1998||Dani||TV series; 1998–99|
|Maridos e mulleres||Husbands And Wives||2005||David||TV series|
|SMS: Sin miedo a soñar||SMS: Dreaming Without Fear||2006||Moisés||TV series; 2006–07|
|El internado||The Boarding School||2007||Marcos Novoa Pazos||TV series; 2007–10|
|Los girasoles ciegos||The Blind Sunflowers||2008||Lalo|
|El don de Alba||Alba's Gift||2013||Pablo Escudero||TV series|
|Tres bodas de más||Three Many Weddings||2013||Dani||Feature film|
|Por un puñado de besos||2014||Dani|
|Romeo & Juliet||2014||Romeo||TV Mini-Series|
|Las Chicas Del Cable||Cable Girls||2017||Carlos||TV series|
|Sé quién eres||I Know Who You Are||2017||Marc Castro||TV series|
|Drácula||Dracula||2011||Jonathan Harker||Production of|
Awards and nominations
|EP3 Awards||2008||Best New Actor||The Blind Sunflowers||Won|
|Goya Awards||2008||Best New Actor||The Blind Sunflowers||Nominated|
|Islantilla Film Festival Awards||2009||Best New Actor||The Boarding School||Won|
|New Talent of Spanish Cinema Awards||2008||Best New Talent||The Blind Sunflowers
The Boarding School
|Vieira de Plata Awards||2008||Best New Actor||The Boarding School||Won|
- Martín Rivas en… ¡Algo se mueve!
- "Martín Rivas, el más guapo de 'El Internado'". www.seriesblog.es (in Spanish). 3 September 2012. Archived from the original on 7 September 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Pontevedra, Silvia (16 June 2007). "Martín Rivas nació en un café". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- ""El Don de Alba" llega en enero: "Sé que nos compararán con 'Entre Fantasmas', pero tiene su morbo"". www.vertele.com (in Spanish). 6 September 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Yon González, un irresistible y rebelde galán que vuelve dispuesto a conquistarnos". Antena 3 (in Spanish). 24 October 2011. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Martín Rivas: Así fue el 'making-of' de su campaña para Purificación García". Hola (in Spanish). 28 May 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Esmeralda Moya, Martín Rivas... Así es el Calendario Larios de la Moda 2010". Hola (in Spanish). 12 February 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Úbeda-Portugués, Alberto (19 May 2014). "Los estrenos del 16 de mayo. 'Por un puñado de besos'. Oda a las pasiones juveniles". Aisge. Retrieved 11 June 2022.