|Builder(s)||Martin Yachts, Abbott Boats, KAPE Boatworks|
|Boat weight||730 lb (331 kg)|
|Draft||3.33 ft (1.01 m) with keel down|
|LOA||16.00 ft (4.88 m)|
|LWL||16.00 ft (4.88 m)|
|Beam||4.33 ft (1.32 m)|
|Keel/board type||lifting keel|
|Ballast||330 lb (150 kg)|
|General||Fractional rigged sloop|
|Total sail area||100 sq ft (9.3 m2)|
The boat was first built in 1995 by Martin Yachts, who completed 58 examples. Production then passed to Abbott Boats in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, who built a further 55 boats. The original molds were destroyed in a fire in 2006, but a new set were built in 2009 and production was restarted by KAPE Boatworks of Mississauga, Ontario. The design remained in production in 2019.
The Martin 16 is a small recreational keelboat, built predominantly of fiberglass. It has a fractional sloop rig, a transom-hung rudder and a lifting weighted bulb keel. It displaces 730 lb (331 kg) and carries 330 lb (150 kg) of lead ballast. Both the mainsail and the jib are mounted with booms. It can fly a spinnaker of 194 sq ft (18.0 m2).
Martin 16 sailors sit on a seat facing forward and all controls and lines are led to the cockpit to allow sailing without having to leave the seat. The rudder is controlled with a joystick. There is a second seat behind the command seat for a passenger or instructor. With the keel extended the boat cannot be tipped. The boat has a draft of 3.33 ft (1.01 m) with the keel extended and 1.33 ft (0.41 m) with it retracted, allowing beaching or ground transportation on a trailer.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "Martin 16 sailboat specifications and details". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "Don Martin". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "Abbott Boats Inc. 1950-". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Browning, Randy (2017). "Martin Yachts Ltd. (CAN)". sailboatdata.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- KAPE Boatworks Inc (2017). "Martin 16 Racing and Cruising". kapeboatworks.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- InterVisionSoft LLC (2017). "Sailboat Specifications for Martin 16". Sailing Joy. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- KAPE Boatworks. "Martin 16 brochure" (PDF). kapeboatworks.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Nepean Sailing Club. "NSC Able Sail". nsc.ca. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin 16.|