Martin Dougiamas (born 20 August 1969) is an educator and computer scientist who lives in Perth, Australia. He has worked on social constructionist models of teaching and learning online, and led the development of the open source Moodle learning platform.
Dougiamas is the founder and CEO of Moodle Pty Ltd, the company that drives development of Moodle and is financed partly through certified service providers in the Moodle Partner network. Significant related services include MoodleCloud for hosted Moodle courses and the Moodle Mobile App, which extends Moodle functionality to mobile devices. The Moodle project is backed up by a large online community and in January 2016 the crowdfunding Moodle Users Association was launched.
As a child Dougiamas lived for some years in the desert in Western Australia, where he studied at home and through materials dropped off by aeroplane. His family moved to Perth and he attended West Balcatta Primary School and Balcatta Senior High School in the city's northern suburbs. In an interview in 2010 he said that this unusual educational experience perhaps prepared him for developing an Internet-based learning platform. Later, while studying for a master's degree and PhD at Curtin University, Australia, Dougiamas began developing the set of online tools that would become Moodle.
Research and influence
Dougiamas's PhD thesis project is entitled "The use of Open Source software to support a social constructionist epistemology of teaching and learning within Internet-based communities of reflective inquiry". Originally Moodle was an experiment within his PhD research but the widespread adoption of Moodle meant that he could not complete that research.
Dougiamas is a defender of open-source software and has been involved in open-source advocacy. He was active in the revocation by the US Patent Office of the patent claim for "Internet-based education support system and methods", US patent 6988138 , submitted by Blackboard. The application described an Internet system in which different access rights to various course management resources can be granted to different user.
In 2004 Dougiamas was described by Brent Simpson as "one of the rare instances in Open Source software development where the right person with the right personality appears at exactly the right time; Martin Dougiamas is the Linus Torvalds of the LMS world and his software is the Linux of this software."
In 2008 Dougiamas was the winner of the Google-O'Reilly Open Source Award in the Education Enabler category.
In 2016 Dougiamas was awarded an honorary doctorate at the University of Vic - Central University of Catalonia "for his contribution to open-source software through his leadership of the Moodle platform".
- Dougiamas, M. and Taylor, P.C. (2003) Moodle: Using Learning Communities to Create an Open Source Course Management System. Proceedings of the EDMEDIA 2003 Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Dougiamas, M. and Taylor, P.C. (2002) Interpretive analysis of an internet-based course constructed using a new courseware tool called Moodle. Proceedings of the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA) 2002 Conference, Perth, Western Australia.
- Taylor, P.C., Maor, D. & Dougiamas, M. (2001) Monitoring the Development of a Professional Community of Reflective Inquiry via the World Wide Web, Teaching and Learning Forum 2001, Curtin University of Technology.
- Dougiamas, M. and Taylor, P.C. (2000) Improving the effectiveness of tools for Internet-based education, Teaching and Learning Forum 2000, Curtin University of Technology.
- Fairholme, E., Dougiamas, M. and Dreher, H. (2000) Using on-line journals to stimulate reflective thinking, Teaching and Learning Forum 2000, Curtin University of Technology.
- Dougiamas, M. (1992) Data-Driven Reconstruction of Planar Surfaces from Range Images, Computer Science Honours Dissertation, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia.
- "Moodle Pty Ltd • Moodle HQ • Moodle". Moodle.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle Pty. Ltd. in Perth WA". listings.ftb-companies-au.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle Partners • Global Certified Service Providers • Moodle". Moodle.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "MoodleCloud • Learning Software Hosted in Cloud • Moodle". Moodle.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle Mobile - MoodleDocs". docs.moodle.org. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle - Open-source learning platform | Moodle.org". moodle.org. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle Users Association". moodleassociation.org. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Interview with Martin Dougiamas". Vimeo. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Martin Dougiamas - biography". moodle.udec.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Top 100 Tools for Learning 2015". Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "The Top LMS Statistics and Facts For 2015 You Need To Know - eLearning Industry". eLearning Industry. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Moodle.org: Moodle Statistics". moodle.net. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Patent Office Asked to Review and Revoke Blackboard Patent: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance". 27 January 2007. Archived from the original on 27 January 2007. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "newped: October 2004 Archives". 20 October 2004. Archived from the original on 20 October 2004. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Google-O'Reilly Open Source Awards - Hall of Fame". Google Developers. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Martin Dougiamas: 'L'educació és compartir i aprendre conjuntament' Universitat de Vic". www.uvic.cat (in Catalan). Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "'Le "MoodleMoot 2018" à l'UCL' Université catholique de Louvain". www.uclouvain.be (in French). Retrieved 7 August 2018.