|Birth name||Martin Glover|
|Also known as||Youth, Orion|
|Born||27 December 1960|
|Genres||Rock, post-punk, experimental rock, electronic, ambient, dub|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer|
|Instrument(s)||Bass, keyboards, vocals|
|Member of||Killing Joke, the Fireman|
|Formerly of||Blue Pearl, Pigface|
Martin Glover (born 27 December 1960), better known by his stage name Youth, is a British record producer and musician, best known as a founding member and bassist of the rock band Killing Joke. He is also a member of the Fireman, along with Paul McCartney.
Martin Glover was born on 27 December 1960 in Slough, at that point part of Buckinghamshire, England. He attended Kingham Hill School, an independent private school in Oxfordshire, where he met Alex Paterson, who would become a roadie for Glover's band Killing Joke, and later founder of The Orb. Naming himself "Pig Youth" after the reggae chanter Big Youth, in 1977 he joined punk band the Rage, who toured with the Adverts. Later he joined "4 Be 2", a band formed by John Lydon's brother Jimmy Lydon, and recorded the "One of the Lads" single with them.
Youth was the bass player in Killing Joke but left the band in 1982 and soon after founded his own commercially orientated dub funk band Brilliant with future member of The KLF, Jimmy Cauty. The act recorded one album with producers Stock Aitken Waterman (SAW) in 1985 before disbanding.
Explaining how SAW's creative process influenced both him and Cauty, Youth said, "We'd be co-writing with them, starting a new song and Pete Waterman would come in with a handful of New York import 12"s with him and he'd go to the record player and say, 'Right, that's the fuckin' bassline!' and then he'd play another record and go, 'That's the beat!'. Then he'd play another record, it's Cyndi Lauper, and he'd go, 'That's the melody!"
Youth also played bass on the Bollock Brothers' discomix 12", "The Slow Removal of Vincent Van Gogh's Left Ear".
In 1989, Youth and Alex Paterson started the WAU! Mr. Modo label. Their early releases were industrial techno dubs and heavy sound system dubs from artists such as Napthali, Manasseh, Bim Sherman and Jah Warrior.
Youth's connections with dub continued in the mid-1990s when he was asked by Adrian Sherwood to remix some of Bim Sherman's tracks for a reworking of the Miracle album. He also recently appeared on a Ted Parsons/NIC dub album, contributing a remix which opens with a sample from Glen Brown's "Version '78", a track originally released on the South East label.
In the early nineties, Youth formed techno and house music duo Blue Pearl together with American singer Durga McBroom. They scored a handful of hit singles including their blue vinyl debut "Naked in the Rain", which reached No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart and was also a No. 5 dance hit in the U.S. in 1990. It was followed by "Little Brother" and "(Can You) Feel the Passion". An album, Naked, was also released.
He is credited with founding the first psychedelic trance record label, Dragonfly Records, as well as the Liquid Sound Design and Kamaflage Records labels. He is well known in the psychedelic trance scene, collaborating with Simon Posford and Saul Davies as Celtic Cross, with Greg Hunter and Simon Posford as Dub Trees, and on the project Zodiac Youth. He has performed both full-on trance as well as chill-out DJ sets at several Return to the Source parties, and released the Ambient Meditations 3 mix album on their label in 2000. His Butterfly Studios were also home of the Return to the Source offices circa 1999–2002.
Youth's Butterfly Records label has produced artists such as Take That, Wet Wet Wet, Tom Jones, the Orb, System 7, Maria McKee and Heather Nova. Youth was the co-producer of the Verve's Urban Hymns and Dolores O'Riordan's Are You Listening?. He has also worked, produced and remixed for bands including Kate Bush, Guns N' Roses, Primal Scream, Embrace, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Gaudi, Art of Noise, Crowded House, Zoe, P.M. Dawn, Pop Will Eat Itself, Yazoo, Erasure, U2, Bananarama, INXS, James and Suns of Arqa.
In 2008, Youth produced the Delays album Everything's the Rush, the Futureheads' This Is Not The World and worked on the debut album of American band The Daylights. In 2013, Glover produced the debut album Collective by the DIY indie rock band Echotape, followed by Meteorites by Echo and the Bunnymen and Lion by Peter Murphy. The following year, Glover produced Culture Club's Tribes album.
Youth is a member of the band Transmission, together with Simon Tong of the Verve, Paul Ferguson of Killing Joke and Tim Bran of Dreadzone. He also played guitar on several tracks on the 2007 Client album Heartland.
In mid-2010, he teamed up with Alex Paterson (of the Orb) to compile a retrospective compilation album of tracks from the WAU! Mr Modo label. The album titled Impossible Oddities was released on CD and double vinyl on 25 October 2010 via Year Zero Records.
On 27 October 2012, during the International Festival of Music Producers and Sound Designers SOUNDEDIT, Youth was awarded The Man with the Golden Ear Award.
In 2017, he teamed up with Gaudi for two collaborative releases as 'YOUTH & GAUDI': the vinyl 10in '2063: A Dub Odyssey' (printed on a limited edition green vinyl) and their debut album 'Astronaut Alchemists', both on Liquid Sound Design. Subsequently, the duo released the double album 'Astronaut Alchemists – Remixes' featuring Banco de Gaia, The Orb, Kaya Project, Bombay Dub Orchestra, Kuba, Gabriel Le Mar, Pitch Black, BUS/Gus Till, Vlastur, Deep Fried Dub, The Egg, Jef Stott/Aslan Dub, Onium, Living Light, Sadhu Sensi, DM-Theory and Uncle Fester On Acid.
Taken from Martin Glover's Youth site.
|Alien Sex Fiend||Who's Been Sleeping in My Brain||Anagram Records||Production||1983|
|Art of Noise||Art of Love||China||Production/Remix|
|Blue Pearl||Blue Pearl||Big Life||Production|
|Blue Pearl||Naked in the Rain||Malarky||Production|
|The Charlatans||Who We Touch||Frinck Recordings||Production||2010|
|Edwyn Collins||A Girl Like You||Remix|
|Crowded House||Together Alone||EMI||Production|
|The Cult||She Sells Sanctuary||Beggars Banquet Records||Additional production/mix|
|Howie Day||Stop All the World Now||Sony (US)||Production|
|Dido||Don't Think of Me||BMG||Production|
|Drum Club||Drums are Dangerous||Instinct||Production|
|Embrace||All You Good Good People||Production|
|Embrace||Come Back to What You Know||Hut Records||Production|
|Embrace||The Good Will Out||Independiente||Production/Mixed|
|Erasure||"Chorus" (single)||Mute Records||Production/Mixed|
|Faith No More||A Small Victory||Slash Records||12" remix|
|FAKE?||Switching on X||MusicTaste||Production|
|The Fireman||Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest||Parlophone||Writer/Co-producer||1993|
|The Fireman||Electric Arguments||One Little Indian||Writer/Co-producer|
|The Futureheads||This Is Not the World||Nul Records||Production|
|Vanessa-Mae||The Capulets and The Montagues||Production/Mix|
|Marilyn Manson||Mobscene||Interscope Records||Additional production/remix|
|The Music||Come What May||Virgin||Production|
|Heather Nova||Oyster||Big Life||Production|
|The Orb||The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld||Island Records||Co-producer/Co-writer|
|Beth Orton||Best Bit||Heavenly Recordings||Production|
|P.M. Dawn||Set Adrift on Memory Bliss||Island||Additional production/mix||1991|
|The Prostitutes||Deaf to the Call||X Production||Production|
|Sam Roberts Band||Lo-Fantasy||Secret Brain||Production||2014|
|Shed Seven||Instant Pleasures||BMG||Production||2017|
|Siouxsie and the Banshees||"Kiss Them for Me"||Wonderland||12" remix||1991|
|Sonido Vegetal||Las Bases del Razonamiento||Maldito Digital||Production|
|Sonido Vegetal||Verbena Calavera||Octubre (Sony Music)||Production|
|The Sugarcubes||Vitamin||One Little Indian Records||12" remix|
|Symposium||Bury You||Infectious Records||Production|
|Symposium||Paint The Stars||Infectious Records||Production|
|Tribazik||Data Warfare||Skyride||Mixing and additional production|
|U2||Night and Day||Island||12" remix||1998|
|Vega 4||Love Is The Music||Taste Media||Production|
|The Verve||Bitter Sweet Symphony||Hut Records||Production|
|The Verve||Lucky Man||Hut Records||Production|
|The Verve||Sonnet||Hut Records||Production|
|The Verve||Urban Hymns||Hut Records||Co-producer||1997|
|Naturists||Naked In the Rain||Interactive Records||Co-producer|
|Naturists||Naturist composition inst||Interactive Records||Co-producer|
- "Families gather to Chill on the Hill". kinghamhill.org.uk.
- "Interview with Gaye Advert / Preview: "Beyond Punk" @ Signal Gallery « Arrested Motion". Arrestedmotion.com. 11 August 2010. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Martin Glover (4 July 2012). "Before Killing Joke, Youth tells us about his whole adventure in punk rock". Louder Than War. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- 4" Be 2" – One of the Lads (Island Records, WIP 6530, Vinyl, 7") at Discogs
- "A Journey Through Stock Aitken Waterman: Ep 8: It's A Man's Man's Man's World to Whenever You Need Somebody on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 8 August 2021.
- "Alex Paterson & Youth discuss "Impossible Oddities" Album OUT NOW". Year Zero Records. 26 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Are You Listening?: Music". Amazon. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Suns of Arqa – Jaggernaut Whirling Dub (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Duran Duran's Andy Taylor Exclusive Interview". Thedivareview.com. 22 September 2008. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Echotape to release debut album "Collective"". Rogue Magazine. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- Słodkowski, Jędrzej (24 July 2012). "Pionier clubbingu, przyjaciel Bono, Brygada Kryzys... Znamy bohaterów Soundedit". Gazeta Wyborcza. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "program – Soundedit 2012". SOUNDEDIT. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "CREATE CHRIST, SAILOR BOY: The New Album From DAVID TIBET & YOUTH As HYPNOPAZŪZU". Davidtibet.com. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Nik Turner & Yoith – Pharaohs From Outer Space (Vinyl, LP,Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- "Youth | Artist | GRAMMY.com". Recording Academy (www.grammy.com). Retrieved 8 February 2022.
- "Youth's CV". Martin Glover. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Charlatans, The – Who We Touch". Discogs. Discogs.com.
- "Sonido Vegetal regresa con "Carromato Punk", single adelanto de su nuevo álbum que se publicará el 23 de Octubre – Sony Music España". Sonymusic.es. 11 September 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Hämäläinen, Jyrki "Spider" (2020). Killing Joke: Are You Receiving?. Milton Keynes: New Haven Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1-912587-40-7.