|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
17 January 1902|
Rheda, German Empire
|Died||22 March 1986
Gütersloh, West Germany
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic
German Air Force
|Years of service||1923–45
|Unit||10th Air Corps|
|Commands held||Fliegerführer Atlantik
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Harlinghausen was appointed Fliegerführer Tunesien in July 1942. He remained in the Mediterranean theater until 18 June 1943, when disagreements with his superiors led to his replacement.
Harlinghausen served in the new West German Air Force from 1957 to 1961. He was sent into retirement, having been politically uncomfortable during his post-war career, after demanding a proper investigation in the 1961 F-84 Thunderstreak incident, after which Oberstleutnant Siegfried Barth, commander of Jagdbombergeschwader (JaBoG) 32, was removed from his post without a proper investigation.
Harlinghausen died in Gütersloh in March 1986.
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (30 January 1940) & 1st Class (3 February 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht on 3 November 1940
- Great Cross of Merit
- Jackson, Robert (2002). The Bismarck. Weapons of War: London. ISBN 1-86227-173-9.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
- Die Wehrmachtberichte 1939–1945 Band 1, 1. September 1939 bis 31. Dezember 1941 [The Wehrmacht Reports 1939–1945 Volume 1, 1 September 1939 to 31 December 1941] (in German). München, Germany: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH & Co. KG. 1985. ISBN 978-3-423-05944-2.
|Commander of Fliegerführer Atlantik
31 March 1941 – 5 January 1942
Generalmajor Wolfgang von Wild
Generaloberst Bruno Loerzer
|Commander of II. Fliegerkorps
23 February 1943 – 12 June 1943
General Alfred Bülowius