Martin Philip Head
17 March 1962
|Alma mater||Monash University (BSc, MSc)|
Carnegie Mellon University (PhD)
|Awards||Member of the National Academy of Sciences (2015)|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||John Pople|
|Doctoral students||Troy Van Voorhis|
Martin Philip Head-Gordon (né Martin Philip Head) chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory working in the area of computational quantum chemistry. He is a member of the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science.is a professor of
A native of Australia, Head-Gordon received his Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees from Monash University,[when?] followed by a PhD from Carnegie Mellon University working under the supervision of John Pople developing a number of useful techniques including the Head-Gordon-Pople scheme for the evaluation of integrals, and the orbital rotation picture of orbital optimization.
Career and research
At Berkeley, Martin supervises a group interested in pairing methods, local correlation methods, dual-basis methods, scaled MP2 methods, new efficient algorithms, and very recently corrections to the Kohn-Sham density functional framework. Broadly speaking, wavefunction based methods are the focus of his research. Head-Gordon is one of the founders of Q-Chem Inc.
Awards and honors
- Gabrielsen, Paul (2018). "QnAs with Martin Head-Gordon". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 115 (8): 1670–1671. Bibcode:2018PNAS..115.1670G. doi:10.1073/pnas.1721205115. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 5828634. PMID 29432150.
- Martin Head-Gordon publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science". www.iaqms.org.
- Head‐Gordon, Martin; Pople, John A. (1988). "A method for two‐electron Gaussian integral and integral derivative evaluation using recurrence relations". The Journal of Chemical Physics. 89 (9): 5777–5786. Bibcode:1988JChPh..89.5777H. doi:10.1063/1.455553. ISSN 0021-9606.
- "The Head-Gordon Group". berkeley.edu. The Head-Gordon Group.
- Anon (2013). "Martin Head-Gordon". nasonline.org.
- "April 28, 2015: NAS Members and Foreign Associates Elected". Archived from the original on 20 November 2015. Retrieved 20 November 2015.