Martin J. S. Rudwick
Martin John Spencer Rudwick (born in 1932) is a British geologist, historian, and academic. He is an emeritus professor of History at the University of California, San Diego and an affiliated research scholar at Cambridge University's Department of History and Philosophy of Science. His principal field of study is the history of the earth sciences; his work has been described as the "definitive histories of the pre-Darwinian earth sciences". Rudwick was an early scholar to critique the conflict thesis regarding religion and science.
Rudwick was awarded the Sue Tyler Friedman Medal in 1988. In 2008, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA). He was the recipient of the 2007 George Sarton Medal from the History of Science Society.
- Living and Fossil Brachiopods (Hutchinson, 1970, ISBN 0-09-103080-3)
- The Meaning of Fossils: Essays in the History of Paleontology (American Elsevier, 1972, ISBN 0-444-19576-9; 2nd ed. Science History Publications, 1976, ISBN 0-88202-163-X; 3rd ed. University of Chicago Press, 1985, ISBN 0-226-73103-0)
- Martin Rudwick, “The Shape and Meaning of Earth History,” in God and Nature: Historical
Essays and the Encounter between Christianity and Science, edited by David C. Lindberg and Ronald Numbers (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1986), pp. 296–321.
- The Great Devonian Controversy: The Shaping of Scientific Knowledge among Gentlemanly Specialists (Chicago, 1985, ISBN 0-226-73101-4)
- Scenes from Deep Time: Early Pictorial Images of the Prehistoric World (Chicago, 1992, ISBN 0-226-73104-9)
- Georges Cuvier, Fossil Bones, and Geological Catastrophes (Chicago, 1997, ISBN 0-226-73106-5)
- The New Science of Geology: Studies in the Earth Sciences in the Age of Revolution (Ashgate, 2004, ISBN 0-86078-958-6)
- Lyell and Darwin, Geologists: Studies in the Earth Sciences in the Age of Reform (Ashgate, 2005, ISBN 0-86078-959-4)
- Bursting the Limits of Time: The Reconstruction of Geohistory in the Age of Revolution (Chicago, 2005, ISBN 0-226-73111-1)
- Worlds Before Adam : The Reconstruction of Geohistory in the Age of Reform (Chicago, 2008, ISBN 978-0-226-73128-5)
- Earth's Deep History : How It Was Discovered and Why It Matters (Chicago, 2014, ISBN 978-0-226-20393-5)
- Paul Voosen, "Historians of Science Seek Accommodation with Their Subject", Chronicle of Higher Education, May 27, 2014.
- "Professor Martin Rudwick". Fellows. The British Academy. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Cambridge University (2004-12-07). "HPS: Martin Rudwick". Retrieved 2007-12-29.
- University of California, San Diego. "people". Archived from the original on 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
- History of Science Society. "History of Science Society - The Society". Retrieved 2007-11-19.
|This article about a historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|