30 June 1987|
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
|European Poker Tour|
Martin Jacobson (born 30 June 1987) is a Swedish professional poker player, originally from Stockholm, Sweden, but currently residing in London, England. In 2014, he won the World Series of Poker Main Event for $10,000,000, the fifth largest single payout in poker tournament history.
Prior to his poker career, Jacobson studied to be a chef. His first live cash came in 2008, when he came in 3rd place at the European Poker Tour event in Hungary. In season 7 of the EPT he made 3 final tables, including two runner-up finishes in Vilamoura and Deauville. He also finished runner-up at the World Poker Tour event in Venice in 2009. Prior to the 2014 Main Event, his largest tournament cash came from a 6th-place finish at the Big One for One Drop High Rollers event at the 2013 WSOP, earning $807,000. He has 16 career WSOP cashes, including 5 final tables. At the 2014 Main Event, he ended Day 1A as the chip leader and entered the November Nine in 8th chip position. Beginning heads-up play with the chip lead over Felix Stephensen, on the 35th hand of heads-up, his prevailed over Stephensen's after the board ran out to win the title.
As of 2015, his total live tournament winnings exceed $15,000,000. His 18 WSOP cashes account for $11,234,390 of those winnings.
Jacobson is a member of Raising for Effective Giving, an Effective altruism organization of poker players who pledge to donate at least 2% of their gross tournament winnings and at least 3% of their profit from cash games every quarter to charities considered unusually cost-effective.
In February 2015, Jacobson was named Player of the Year by the Swedish publication 'Poker.se'. This title has previously been awarded to other high-profile professional players such as Viktor Blom, Chris Bjorin, and Robin Ylitalo.
|2014||$10,000 No Limit Hold'em Main Event||$10,000,000|
- "Martin Jacobson". Global Poker Index. Retrieved 2014-11-12.
- Martin Jacobson Hendon Mob Database, retrieved 12 July 2015
- Rodriguez, Julio. "Martin Jacobson Discusses His 2014 World Series of Poker Main Event Win". cardplayer.com. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Big win for charity at WSOP Main Event 2014!". reg-charity.org. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Corlisse, Brian (2015-02-11). "Martin Jacobson Named Sweden's Top Player".
- Lee Davy (2017-12-26). "Focus, Presence, Trust: Martin Jacobson Joins 888poker". 888poker. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- Chad Holloway (2018-01-06). "CardsChat Interview: Martin Jacobson Joins Expanding Roster of 888Poker Pros". CardsChat.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.