|Occupation||Author, Speaker, Marketer|
Martin Lindstrom (Lindstrøm) is a Danish author and Time magazine Influential 100 Honoree. Lindstrom's books include Small Data: The Tiny Clues that Uncover Huge Trends, Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and Brandwashed - Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy, his first title written for consumers, for which Lindstrom conducted a $3 million word-of-mouth marketing experiment – inspired by the 2009 film, The Joneses – to study the effects of social influence on purchasing decisions.
Lindstrom is a columnist for Fast Company, TIME Magazine and Harvard Business Review and frequently contributes to NBC's Today show. Lindstrom has written seven books on brands and consumer behavior. He is the founding partner and Chairman of the Board of Buyology Inc. and Director of Brand Sense Agency. In 2011, Lindstrom appeared in the Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) movie documentary The Greatest Movie Ever Sold and on America’s Next Top Model. Thinkers50 included him as number 18 on their list of the 2015 top 50 management thinkers in the world and included him in their updated lists for 2017.
In Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy, Lindstrom analyzes what makes people buy in a world which is cluttered with messages like advertisements, slogans, jingle, and celebrity endorsements. Through a study of the human psyche, he discusses the subconscious mind and how it plays a major role in deciding what the buyer will buy. The author claims to have studied the behavior of 2,000 humans for three years.
Lindstrom spent time with 2,000 families in more than 77 countries to get clues to how they live. In Small Data: The Tiny Clues that Uncover Huge Trends Lindstrom discusses those trips, the process he uses to gather information, and the business decisions that information has led to. In 2016, it was named a Best Business Book by strategy+business and one of Inc. Magazine's Best Sales and Marketing books.
- Small Data: The Tiny Clues that Uncover Huge Trends (St.Martin's Press
- Brandwashed - Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy (Crown Publications).
- Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy (Doubleday Business).
- BRAND sense - Building Powerful Brands Through Touch, Taste, Smell, Sight & Sound (Free Press).
- BRANDchild- Insights into the Minds of Today's Global Kids: Understanding Their Relationship with Brands ([Kogan Page).
- Clicks, Bricks & Brands (Kogan Page).
- Brand Building On The Internet (Kogan Page).
- "Time Magazine Influential 100 Honoree". 30 April 2009. Archived from the original on May 3, 2009.
- "New York Times Bestseller List". The New York Times. 16 November 2008.
- Press Release: Brandwashed by Martin Lindstrom Archived 2011-12-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Fast Company Author's Profile Page".
- "Author's Today Show Appearances". Archived from the original on 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- "Martin Lindstrom - Thinkers 50". Thinkers 50. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
- "Martin Lindstrom - Thinkers 50". Thinkers 50. 2015-11-09. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Martin Lindstrom Official". Archived from the original on 2008-10-11. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Random House profile of Buyology
- "Why Small Data Is the New Big Data - Knowledge@Wharton". Knowledge@Wharton. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Business Books - Best Sellers - March 13, 2016 - The New York Times". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Small Data | Martin Lindstrom". Martin Lindstrom. 2015-10-02. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- Taylor, Catharine P. "Best Business Books 2016: Marketing". strategy+business. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "The Best Sales and Marketing Books of 2016". Inc.com. 2016-11-28. Retrieved 2017-11-20.