Nesbitt on Air Force One in 2009.
Martin Hughes Nesbitt|
November 29, 1962
University of Chicago|
The Parking Spot|
The Vistria Group
|Known for||Founder and CEO, The Parking Spot|
Martin Hughes Nesbitt (born November 29, 1962) is an American businessman who is the founder and chief executive officer of The Parking Spot, a Chicago-based airport parking company. He also served on the board of the Chicago Housing Authority. Nesbitt is a close personal friend of former U. S. President Barack Obama and was the campaign treasurer during Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
Life and career
Nesbitt was born to an African-American family and raised in Columbus, Ohio, graduating from Columbus Academy. He went on to earn his bachelor's degree from Albion College in Albion, Michigan in 1985. After working as a financial analyst at GMAC, he won a fellowship to study at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business where he earned his MBA in 1991. From 1996-98, he worked as the vice president of Pritzker Realty group and in 1998, he founded The Parking Spot along with investor Penny Pritzker. The Parking Spot offers airport parking services primarily for business travelers.
Nesbitt met Barack and Michelle Obama through Michelle Obama's brother Craig Robinson who was a high school basketball coach. He supported Obama's 2004 senate bid and served as the campaign treasurer on his 2008 presidential campaign. In 2013, he founded The Vistria group, a private equity firm. Along with a series of other funds, The Vistria Group acquired Apollo Education Group, one of the world's largest private education providers, in 2017.
- Harris, Melissa (January 21, 2013). "Executive Profile: Martin Nesbitt, the first friend". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Chicago Tribune: "Executive Profile: Martin Nesbitt, the first friend - Drive to succeed evident in business, with family, on basketball court" By Melissa Harris January 21, 2013
- "Martin Nesbitt". Business Makers. The History Makers. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Sharkey, Joe (November 6, 2007). "The Lowly Parking Garage With the Colorful Identity". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Martin Nesbitt". Washington Post. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Investor Consortium Completes Acquisition of Apollo Education Group, Inc". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Jackson, David (2014-01-31). "Obama library foundation is formed". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.