|Dr Martin Parkinson
|Secretary of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet|
23 January 2016
|16th Secretary of the Department of the Treasury|
7 March 2011 – 12 December 2014
|Secretary of the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency|
8 March 2010 – 7 March 2011
|Secretary of the Department of Climate Change|
3 December 2007 – 8 March 2010
|Born||Martin Lee Parkinson
26 September 1958
Stawell, Victoria, Australia
|Alma mater||University of Adelaide;
Australian National University;
Martin Lee Parkinson AC PSM (born 26 September 1958) is a senior Australian public servant. He was Secretary of the Department of the Treasury between March 2011 and December 2014. On 3 December 2015 it was announced that he would return to the public service as Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Life and career
Parkinson graduated with honours from the University of Adelaide with a Bachelor of Economics. He completed his Masters in Economics at the Australian National University in 1983 and his Masters in Arts in 1988, also at the Australian National University. He completed his Ph.D in 1990 at Princeton University.
Parkinson has previously served as the inaugural Secretary of the Department of Climate Change, Deputy Secretary of the Department of the Treasury, an International Monetary Fund official, and an advisor to former Australian Treasurer, John Dawkins.[when?]
Between 2011 and 2015, Parkinson was Secretary of the Department of the Treasury.
Parkinson was awarded the Public Service Medal on 26 January 2008. He was also a recipient of the inaugural Australian National University Alumnus of the Year Award on 9 March 2013. In 2017 Parkinson was appointed a Companion of the Order of Australia for eminent service to the Australian community through leadership in public sector roles, to innovative government administration and high level program delivery, to the development of economic policy, and to climate change strategy.
- Owens, Jared (12 January 2016). "Power couple: Heather Smith and Martin Parkinson at top of tree". The Australian. News Corp Australia.
- Balogh, Stefanie; Kelly, Joe (21 December 2010). "Ken Henry's Treasury replacement to be climate department head Martin Parkinson". The Australian. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Witness statement: Royal Commission into the Home Insulation Program (PDF), Australian Government, 25 March 2014, p. 1, archived from the original (PDF) on 1 November 2014
- Shanahan, Dennis (8 December 2014). "Banker John Fraser takes Treasury secretary role". The Australian. News Ltd.
- It's An Honour (2008)
- Nielsen, Georgia (Winter 2013), "Behind Every Great University", ANU Reporter, Australian National University: 18
- "Companion (AC) in the General Division of the Order of Australia" (PDF). Australia Day 2017 Honours List. Governor-General of Australia. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- Brief profile of Dr Martin Parkinson, Department of the Treasury, archived from the original on 16 March 2012
- Nethercote, J.R. (14 March 2014). "Silence would have been golden on hunt for a new Treasury head". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 14 March 2014.
- Hutchens, Gareth; Massola, James (14 March 2014). "Criticism mounts over Abbott removal of Treasury mandarin". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 14 March 2014.
|Secretary of the Department of Climate Change
as Secretary of the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
as Secretary of the Department of Climate Change
|Secretary of the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency
|Secretary of the Department of the Treasury
|Secretary of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet