Martin John Pugh
|Genres||Rock, blues, blues rock, rock and roll, psychedelic rock, hard rock|
|Years active||1968–1976, 2002-03|
|Labels||Bellaphon / CBS, A&M|
|Associated acts||Steamhammer, Armageddon, 7th Order, Faces, Rod Stewart|
Martin John Pugh is a British guitarist who came to prominence after joining blues-rock band Steamhammer in 1968, staying with that band through 5 years and 4 albums. The debut Steamhammer album, also known as Steamhammer, was released in 1969 and yielded a minor hit record in Europe, "Junior's Wailing". Pugh also played on the first Rod Stewart solo album, An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down (aka The Rod Stewart Album).
Following the dissolution of Steamhammer in 1973, Pugh and Steamhammer bassist Louis Cennamo joined up with former Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf (who had played with Cennamo in Renaissance and had helped produce the final Steamhammer LP) and drummer Bobby Caldwell to form Armageddon in 1975. According to liner notes of a CD re-release of their only album on the Repertoire Records label in 1999, drug problems interfered with the band's work ethic - although the record had received favorable reviews and significant radio airplay upon its release. Their demise was finalized after the untimely death of Relf in May 1976.
While he appears to have retired from music after 1975, he did emerge to play guitar (alongside Geoff Thorpe of Vicious Rumors) on studio sessions in Seattle with Hawaii-based rock & roll band, 7th Order on their debut CD, "The Lake of Memory" - released on the Big Island Sounds label in 2007.
- The Rod Stewart Album. The-faces.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- Keith Relf & Armageddon. Myspace.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- The Yardbirds, Renaissance, Medicine Head, Steamhammer, Armageddon. Keith Relf. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- An Interview with Louis Cennamo. Big Bang Magazine. April–July, 1994.
- The Lost In Rock And Heavy Metal: Armageddon. Metal Storm. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- Keith Relf – Electrocuted While Playing Guitar. Ultimateclassicrock.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- Big Island Sounds & Entertainment Home Page. Bigisland.hawaii-networks.com. Retrieved on 2 December 2015.
- 7th Order - "The Lake of Memory".
|This article on a UK guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|