Martin Riley (footballer)
Riley playing for Mansfield Town in 2013
|Full name||Martin James Riley|
|Date of birth||5 December 1986|
|Place of birth||Wolverhampton, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:18, 22 April 2017 (UTC).
Riley began his career at the age of thirteen with his home-town club Wolverhampton Wanderers. In March 2005, he signed a professional contract with the club but was released in December 2007 without making a single first-team appearance. He had a short spell with Shrewsbury Town in 2008, but once again didn't feature in the first team.
He joined Kidderminster Harriers in the Conference National division in the summer of 2008 where he spent two seasons, he often linked up with fellow centre back Mark Creighton with whom nothing was won trophy wise at Aggborough.
Riley was signed by Cheltenham Town in the summer of 2010. He made his debut for the club on 7 August against Gillingham. On 9 May 2011, Riley was released from Cheltenham after his contract expired.
However, on 14 July 2011 Riley signed for Mansfield Town. Riley played 33 times for Mansfield Town scoring once, he also played in the Conference Play-off semi-finals against York City which they lost 2–1 on aggregate.
On 16 July 2012 he signed for Wrexham. This was after Wrexham sold star striker Jake Speight went the opposite way to Mansfield. At The Racecourse Ground Riley would be reunited with former defensive partner from his Aggborough days Mark Creighton, although after just 3 games Creighton suffered a season-ending injury. Riley made his debut in a Conference National game against Woking, Wrexham won 3–1. In March 2013 Riley won his first honour by winning the FA Trophy with Wrexham, beating Grimsby Town on penalties at Wembley.
Return to Mansfield
- FA Trophy 2012/2013
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/07/2010 and 31/07/2010" (PDF). TheFA. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Cheltenham profile". Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Riley Contract Terminated". 3 December 2007. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Five go as Shrews start clear-out". BBC Sport. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Harriers' defender Martin Riley paid his own fee to join Cheltenham Town FC". This is Gloucestershire. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Gillingham 1–1 Cheltenham". BBC Sport. 7 August 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Mansfield Town sign former Cheltenham Town defender Martin Riley". chad.co.uk. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Currie, Mark (17 July 2012). "Wrexham FC sign defender Martin Riley". Daily Post Wales. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Riley becomes fifth summer signing". Mansfield Town Official Website. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Retained list confirmed". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin Riley (footballer).|