Martin Roberts (presenter)
|Born||Martin Leyland Roberts
20 July 1963
Warrington, Lancashire, England
|Occupation||Presenter, Author, Property Expert, Investor, Entrepreneur|
Martin Leyland Roberts (born 20 July 1963) is an English television presenter and is a property expert, investor, entrepreneur and author who currently presents the BBC One property auction series, Homes Under the Hammer with co-presenters Lucy Alexander and Dion Dublin, along with currently hosting Talk Radio show 'Home Rule with Martin Roberts' where he also chats about property.
Early life and career
He studied Electronic Engineering at Bradford University 1983–86 and was a DJ on Ramair, the university's radio station.  Roberts has been working as a property developer since the early 1990s and has contributed to several publications, both on the subject of property development and travel. 
Since then, he has presented several other programmes including Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and How to Survive the Property Crisis, both for the BBC as well as ITV's travel programme Wish You Were Here...?  Roberts is most famous for being BBC's UK and Overseas Property expert writing and presenting Homes Under the Hammer having done since the program began in 2003 to the present day. As well as making regular appearances on BBC Breakfast, BBC News 24 and The One Show
Roberts has also made appearances on Ready Steady Cook with Homes Under the Hammer co-presenter, Lucy Alexander. Roberts has also been a celebrity contestant on BBC gameshows Hole in the Wall and Pointless, raising money for charity. In July 2010 Roberts entered the BBC television programme Celebrity MasterChef, though he was eliminated at the first opportunity despite having performed well on the ingredient recognition task. In November 2016, Roberts was a contestant on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!. He was eliminated after spending 15 days in camp, coming in sixth place.
Roberts has presented radio throughout his career as the BBC's UK and Overseas Property expert contributing to many shows on BBC radios 2, 4 & 5 live. He is a regular guest presenter on The Jeremy Vine Show which airs on BBC Radio 2  and Moneybox which airs on BBC Radio 4. In March 2016, Roberts began hosting a weekly property radio show for Talk Radio named Gazumped.
In September 2012, Roberts publicly criticised proposed government changes to the planning laws of England that would double the size of extensions that do not need approval. He branded the move crazy and said it would "wipe away generations of sensible and sound planning law overnight".
As well as presenting on both radio and television Roberts has written many books such as Teach Yourself Making Money from Property, and The Property Auction Guide Roberts has also contributed to travelling books including Great Festivals of the World, The Travellers Handbook and Intrepid Africa. Roberts is the author of The Villes’ Children's Books series. One of the books in the series Sadsvillie was written in partnership with the NSPCC to encourage children to contact to ChildLine if they need someone to talk to about any issues. 
- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
- How to Survive the Property Crisis
- Wish You Were Here.
- Homes Under the Hammer
- BBC Breakfast
- BBC News 24
- The One Show
- Ready Steady Cook
- Hole in the Wall
- Celebrity MasterChef
- Dave Gorman: Modern Life is Goodish
- I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
- BBC Radio
- The Jeremy Vine Show
- Great Festivals of the World
- The Travellers Handbook
- Intrepid Africa
- The Villes
- Teach Yourself Making Money from Property
- The Property Auction Guide
- "Martin Roberts Linkedin (Requires Account Full Profile under Education)".
- "Interview with Homes Under The Hammer Star Martin Roberts". Bath Chronicle. 2013-08-03. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "Martin Roberts profile". peoplematter.tv. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "Martin Roberts, Book Property Speaker Martin Roberts". www.tmcentertainment.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "07/11/2008, Jeremy Vine - BBC Radio 2". BBC. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Money Box Transcript" (PDF).
- "Martin Roberts to host new property show on talkRADIO". 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- Roberts, Martin (September 7, 2012). "Relaxing Planning Laws will Damage British Housing". Huffington Post.
- Roberts, Martin (September 7, 2012). "Forget Homes under the Hammer, our countryside and architectural heritage are under attack". Mail Online.
- Roberts, Martin (2008). Teach Yourself Making Money from Property. Teach Yourself. ISBN 0-340-96637-8.
- "The Property Auction Guide". www.martinroberts.co.uk. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Books | Martin Roberts". www.martinroberts.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "The Villes". thevilles.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Mogers Drewett help support children's book project - Mogers Drewett". Mogers Drewett. 2015-12-14. Retrieved 2016-12-11.
- "BBC Homes under the Hammer star talks about the Warrington property market". Warrington Guardian. July 20, 2012.