Martin Roberts (presenter)
Martin Leyland Roberts
20 July 1963
|Occupation||Presenter, author, property expert, investor, entrepreneur|
Martin Leyland Roberts (born 20 July 1963) is an English television presenter and is a property expert, investor, entrepreneur and author who currently presents the BBC One property auction series, Homes Under the Hammer with co-presenters Martel Maxwell (since 2016) and Dion Dublin, although his co presenter for many years was Lucy Alexander. He also hosts the Talk Radio show 'Home Rule with Martin Roberts' where he also chats about property.
Early life and career
He attended Appleton Hall Grammar School then studied Electronic Engineering at Bradford University 1983–86 and was a DJ on Ramair, the university's radio station. Roberts has been working as a property developer since the early 1990s and has contributed to several publications, both on the subject of property development and travel.
Since then, he has presented several other programmes including Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and How to Survive the Property Crisis, both for the BBC as well as ITV's travel programme Wish You Were Here...? Roberts is most famous for being BBC's UK and Overseas Property expert writing and presenting Homes Under the Hammer having done since the programme began in 2003 to the present day, as well as making regular appearances on BBC Breakfast, BBC News 24 and The One Show
Roberts has also made appearances on Ready Steady Cook with Homes Under the Hammer co-presenter, Lucy Alexander. Roberts has also been a celebrity contestant on BBC gameshows Hole in the Wall and Pointless, raising money for charity. In July 2010 Roberts entered the BBC television programme Celebrity MasterChef, though he was eliminated at the first opportunity despite having performed well on the ingredient recognition task. In November 2016, Roberts was a contestant on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!. He was eliminated after spending 15 days in camp, coming in sixth place.
Roberts has presented radio throughout his career as the BBC's UK and Overseas Property expert contributing to many shows on BBC radios 2, 4 and 5 Live. He is a regular guest presenter on The Jeremy Vine Show which airs on BBC Radio 2 and Moneybox which airs on BBC Radio 4. In March 2016, Roberts began hosting a weekly property radio show for Talk Radio named “Gazumped” (Saturday 11 am – 1 pm and Sunday 5 – 7 pm). The show was later renamed “Home Rule” and Sunday editions are no longer live, but recorded, broadcast from 6 am to 8 am.
In September 2012, Roberts publicly criticised proposed government changes to the planning laws of England that would double the size of extensions that do not need approval. He branded the move crazy and said it would "wipe away generations of sensible and sound planning law overnight".
Roberts has also contributed to travelling books including Great Festivals of the World, The Travellers' Handbook and Intrepid Africa. Roberts is the author of The Villes Children's Books series. One of the books in the series Sadsville was written in partnership with the NSPCC to encourage children to contact ChildLine if they need someone to talk to about any problems.
- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
- How to Survive the Property Crisis
- Wish You Were Here.
- Homes Under the Hammer
- BBC Breakfast
- BBC News 24
- The One Show
- Ready Steady Cook
- Hole in the Wall
- Celebrity MasterChef
- Dave Gorman: Modern Life is Goodish
- I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
- BBC Radio
- The Jeremy Vine Show
- Great Festivals of the World
- The Travellers Handbook
- Intrepid Africa
- The Villes
- Teach Yourself Making Money from Property
- The Property Auction Guide
- "Martin Roberts Linkedin (Requires Account Full Profile under Education)".
- "Interview with Homes Under The Hammer Star Martin Roberts". Bath Chronicle. 3 August 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "Martin Roberts profile". peoplematter.tv. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Martin Roberts, Book Property Speaker Martin Roberts". tmcentertainment.co.uk. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "07/11/2008, Jeremy Vine – BBC Radio 2". BBC. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Money Box Transcript" (PDF).
- "Martin Roberts to host new property show on talkRADIO". 7 March 2016. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Roberts, Martin (7 September 2012). "Relaxing Planning Laws will Damage British Housing". HuffPost.
- Roberts, Martin (7 September 2012). "Forget Homes under the Hammer, our countryside and architectural heritage are under attack". Daily Mail.
- Roberts, Martin (2008). Teach Yourself Making Money from Property. Teach Yourself. ISBN 0-340-96637-8.
- "The Property Auction Guide". martinroberts.co.uk. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Books | Martin Roberts". www.martinroberts.co.uk. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "The Villes". thevilles.co.uk. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Mogers Drewett help support children's book project – Mogers Drewett". Mogers Drewett. 14 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "BBC Homes under the Hammer star talks about the Warrington property market". Warrington Guardian. 20 July 2012.