Martin Tillman (born 6 November 1964) is a cellist and composer.
Tillman was born in Zürich, Switzerland, in 1964. He arrived in the US in 1988. He has since performed/composed on numerous films, television shows, commercials and international tours. While receiving a Masters Degree in performance from the University of Southern California in 1989, he studied with Lynn Harrell. Tillman lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Eva Tillman.
Tillman wrote the score to the next Morgan Freeman-Clive Owen film Last Knights together with Satnam Ramgotra. He also scored the smartphone app movie Haunting Melissa 2: Dark Hearts and currently doing the score for A Bell For Ursli. His previous solo composition, "A Year in Zurich" he performs both cello and piano. Preceding collaborative albums include: Eastern Twin (Rounders) and Cinematic Volunteer composed and produced by both Tillman and Tom Vedvik. The Poet, which was composed by Michael Hoppe, cello solos performed by Tillman and Afterglow composed and performed by Michael Hoppe, Tim Wheater, and Tillman.
Michael Mann's movie Ali features some original instrumental songs from his album Eastern Twin. After recording with Hans Zimmer on the Tony Scott movie The Fan, Tillman has composed and performed for scores such as Total Recall, Bullet to the Head, Brave Miss World, Admissions, Super Hybrid, My Father My Lord, Rush, the 84th Academy Awards, Life in a Day, Cowboys & Aliens, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean, Black Hawk Down, The Pledge, An Everlasting Piece, Mission Impossible 2, Hannibal, The Ring, The Ring Two... and many more.
He has recorded the album Superhuman and will be touring nationally and internationally .
- Schlittler, Von Flavia. "Film Music star Martin Tillman and His MS ill wife Eva Life is a Gift " Blick, 5 February 2014 http://www.blick.ch/people-tv/filmmusik-star-martin-tillman-und-seine-ms-kranke-frau-eva-das-leben-ist-ein-geschenk-id2656566.html
- "Movie Score Media Goes Medieval with LAST KNIGHTS Composed by Martin Tillman and Satnam Ramgotra" Film Score Monthly, 15 April 2015 http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109379&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=180#bottom
- Scheck, Frank. "Last Knights': Film Review Hollywood Reporter, 25 March 2015 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/last-knights/review/784052?mobile_redirect=false
- Petaloudis, Greg. "News: 'Dark Hearts: The Secret of Haunting Melissa' " Horror Unlimited, 9 December 2015 http://horrorunlimited.blogspot.com/2014/12/dark-hearts-secret-of-haunting-melissa.html
- Soergel, Brain. "Jazz Reviews: Eastern Twin Martin Tillman" Jazz Times, March 2001 http://jazztimes.com/articles/12019-eastern-twin-martin-tillman
- Stone, Lee. "Afterglow" Innerchangemag.com April/May 2004 http://www.innerchangemag.com/afterglow-review.htm
- Kelly, Keys Anchor 'Ali' Soundtrack Billboard Magazine, 6 November 2001 http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/77832/kelly-keys-anchor-ali-soundtrack
- Gallo, Phil. "Hans Zimmer's Oscar Music Spawns New Album" Hollywood Reporter, 29 February 2012 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-music-hans-zimmer-pharrell-williams-esperanza-spalding-295960
- Savage, Mark. "Talking Shop: Hans Zimmer" BBC News, 28 July 2008 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7526033.stm
- Anthon, Von Kaye. "Swiss Makes Music for Batman" Blick, 8 Januaary 2012 http://www.blick.ch/people-tv/kino/cellist-martin-tillman-schweizer-macht-musik-fuer-batman-id1720847.html
- Tillnes, Jorn. "Soundtrack Review: The Ring & The Ring Two" Soundtrack Geek, 26 January 2015 http://www.soundtrackgeek.com/v2/tag/martin-tillman/
- Burlingame, Jon. In Person: Narnia, Shrek composer Harry Gregson-Williams Sundance Institute presents workshop series on film scoring Film Music Society, 24 March 2014 http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2014/032414.html
- Chinen, Nate. "Elton John Celebrates 60, Lavishly in His Garden" New York Times, 27 March 2007 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/27/arts/music/27elto.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1428523321-ML68g73chaUoLVoabW01TQ
- Martin Tillman's imdb.com entry
- Martin Tillman at Soundtrack.net
- Martin Tillman Music on Facebook
- Martin Tillman on Hans-Zimmer.com