Martin Van Buren High School
|Martin Van Buren High School|
|230-17 Hillside Avenue
Queens Village, New York 11427
|Principal||Sam Sochet (interim)|
|Number of students||2,350|
|Color(s)||Red and Blue|
The school was designed by Eliot B. Willauer of the notable architectural firm Eggers & Higgins, architects on the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, as part of the Board of Education's half-billion dollar post World War II expansion program.
The school opened in 1955 as the East Queens High School but was later renamed after the 8th President of the United States, Martin Van Buren.
This is a partial list of notable alumni of Martin Van Buren High School.
- Jon Bauman (Class of 1964) – Sha Na Na
- Abby Joseph Cohen (Class of 1969) – economist and financial analyst
- Donny Deutsch (Class of 1975) – advertising executive and television personality
- Ilene Graff (Class of 1966) – American actress and singer
- Madeline Kahn (Class of 1960) – movie actress and singer
- Arthur Kane – member of the New York Dolls
- Ray Kurzweil (Class of 1965) – inventor and futurist
- Robert Mapplethorpe – photographer
- Rob Parker (Class of 1982) – sports columnist and TV personality
- Tom Pecora – head men's basketball coach of Fordham University
- Julian Phillips (Class of 1973) – television personality
- Alvin Roth – Nobel prize winner in economics 2012
- Mario Savio (Class of 1960) – American political rights activist
- Lynne Stewart (Class of 1957) – imprisoned civil rights lawyer
- Frank Wilczek – (Class of 1967) - awarded the 2004 Nobel Prize in Physics.
- Thomas G. Zimmerman (Class of 1975) – inventor of DataGlove used in Virtual Reality
- Chan, Melissa. "'Failing' Van Buren principal replaced". Queens Courier. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- American Architect Directory: 1956 R.R. Bowker LLC, p.606.
- Landmarks Preservation Commission LP-2131
- "Martin Van Buren High School, Q435, Borough of Queens". New York City Department of Education. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- Wilczek, Frank. "Autobiography". Nobel Media. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- US Patent #4542291 http://www.google.com/patents/US4542291