|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Shona McIsaac|
|Born||Martin John Vickers
13 September 1950 
Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, England
|Alma mater||University of Lincoln|
Born in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, Vickers was educated at Havelock School and Grimsby College. He attained a politics degree at the University of Lincoln after six years as a part-time student in 2004. In 2011, he stepped down as a Conservative councillor on North East Lincolnshire Council for the Scartho ward. Before being elected an MP he served as full-time Conservative agent for an MP in a nearby constituency.
Vickers was elected to the House of Commons as Member of Parliament (MP) for Cleethorpes in the 2010 general election by a majority of 4,298. On 24 October 2011, Vickers joined the Conservative backbench rebellion to vote in favour of a national referendum on the European Union.
Political views and parliamentary voting record
He has consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war, and has also voted against equal gay rights and allowing marriage between two people of same sex. He has opposed raising welfare benefits in-line with inflation, and has supported reducing benefits for those occupying homes with additional bedrooms.
He is married to Ann and has one daughter.
- "Martin Vickers MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "2010 Parliamentary Elections". North East Lincolnshire Council. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- "Martin Vickers". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- "Vickers, Martin". Politics.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- "Cllr Vickers, Martin". North East Lincolnshire Council. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- "Cleethorpes". BBC News. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Martin Vickers Voting Record - They Work For You. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Martin Vickers MP Martin Vickers MP official constituency website
- Martin Vickers MP Conservative Party profile
- Cleethorpes Conservatives
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Cleethorpes
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2015 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|