Martin Westlake (born 1957) is a British academic and author, and previously a civil servant. He was Secretary-General of the European Economic and Social Committee 2008-2013. Prior to that, he served as a Director of Consultative Works and as Head of Communications in the European Economic and Social Committee, which he joined in 2003.
Martin Westlake had a lengthy career in various European institutions, including the European Commission (Secretariat General, DG X, DG Education and Culture), the Council of the European Union and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (Strasbourg), before finishing his career as a civil servant at the European Economic and Social Committee (2003-2013).
He holds a BA (hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford University (University College), an MA in International Affairs at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (Bologna Center) and a PhD at the European University Institute, Florence. He is a Senior Visiting Fellow at the European Institute of the London School of Economics (since 2013), and is a Professor at the College of Europe, Bruges (since 2014, having also taught there 2000–2005).
- Britain's Emerging Euro-Elite? The British in the Directly-Elected European Parliament, 1979–1992, Dartmouth Press, London, 1994
- The European Commission and the European Parliament: Partners and Rivals in the European Policy-Making Process, Butterworth, 1994
- A Modern Guide to the European Parliament, Pinter, London, 1994
- The Council of the European Union, Cartermill International, London, 1995
- The European Union Beyond Amsterdam: New Concepts of European Integration (ed), Routledge, London, 1998
- The Council of the European Union (second edition), John Harper Press, London, 1995
- Leaders of Transition (ed), Macmillan, London, 2000
- British Politics and European Elections 1999, (with David Butler), Macmillan, London, 2000
- Kinnock The Biography, Little Brown, London, October 2001
- The Council of the European Union (third edition, with David Galloway), John Harper Press, London, 2004
- British Politics and European Elections 2004 (with David Butler), Palgrave, London, 2005
- The European Economic and Social Committee, John Harper Press, London, 2016
- "EESC Previous Secretary Generals". European Economic and Social Committee. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "Martin Westlake". London School of Economics. 2015-11-30. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "Martin Westlake". College of Europe. Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "The luck of the Tories". London Review of Books. 2002-03-04. Retrieved 2016-02-12.