Martin Winterkorn in 2015
24 May 1947 |
Leonberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
|Occupation||Chairman of the Vorstand Volkswagen AG|
|Known for||Chairman of the Vorstand for Volkswagen|
Martin Winterkorn (born 24 May 1947 in Leonberg, Germany) is the Chairman of the Board of Directors (CEO, Vorstandsvorsitzender in German) of Volkswagen AG, the parent company of the Volkswagen Group, and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Audi and Porsche Automobil Holding SE.
Winterkorn studied metallurgy and metal physics at the University of Stuttgart from 1966 to 1973. From 1973 to 1977 he was a Ph.D student at the Max-Planck-Institute for Metal Research and Metal Physics, where he received his doctorate in 1977.
Winterkorn embarked on his career in 1977, as a specialist assistant in the research division "Process Engineering" at Robert Bosch GmbH. From 1978 to 1981, he headed the refrigerant compressor development group "Substances and Processes" at Robert Bosch GmbH and Bosch-Siemens-Hausgeräte GmbH.
In 1993 Winterkorn became head of "Group Quality Assurance" at Volkswagen AG, and was appointed General Manager of Volkswagen AG with power of attorney in March 1994. He was additionally responsible for the VW Group Product Management from June 1995. In January 1996, Winterkorn took over from Herbert Schuster as Member of the Brand Board of Management for "Technical Development" for the Volkswagen brand. From July 2000, he was Member of the VW Group Board of Management for Technical Development. Winterkorn was instrumental in getting Volkswagen CEO Ferdinand Piëch to approve the production of the New Beetle.
Winterkorn had been Chairman of the Board of Management of Audi AG since 1 March 2002. He headed the Audi brand group, including the brands SEAT and Lamborghini, which was formed on 1 January 2002. Winterkorn also assumed responsibility for Technical Development at Audi AG with effect from 1 January 2003. In his capacity as CEO of the Board of Management of Audi AG, Winterkorn was also Member of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG.
Since June 2003, Winterkorn has served as an Honorary Professor of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics, in recognition of his service to the promotion of research at the establishment. He's been featured both in the 2007 and the 2008 Power List of American automotive magazine Motor Trend.
- "Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Martin Winterkorn". www.volkswagenag.com. Volkswagen AG. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
- Bernd Pischetsrieder. "Bernd Pischetsrieder: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- "EXECUTIVE PROFILE - Martin Winterkorn". Business Week. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- "Ein Schwabe in Wolfsburg: Martin Winterkorn, 48...". Auto, Motor und Sport. Heft. 6 1996: Pages 206–208. 8 March 1996.
- Mark Landler (Nov 8, 2006). "After Power Struggle, Volkswagen Ousts Its Chief".
- "The 2007 Power List". Motor Trend. 2007. Retrieved 2008-05-14.
- "The 2008 Power List". Motor Trend. 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-14.