Martins Ferry High School
|Martins Ferry High School|
|5000 Ayers-Limestone Road
Martins Ferry, Ohio, (Belmont County) 43935
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Martins Ferry City Schools|
|Color(s)||Purple and White |
|Athletics conference||Buckeye 8 Conference (primary), Ohio Valley Athletic Conference|
|Mascot||The Purple Rider|
|Team name||Purple Riders|
|Rival||Bellaire Big Reds|
Martins Ferry High School is a public high school in Martins Ferry, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Martins Ferry City Schools district. Their nickname is the Purple Riders, and they compete in the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) as a member of the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference (OVAC) and the affiliated Buckeye 8 Conference.
Martins Ferry High School enrolls high school students from grades 9-12. It is located in Martins Ferry, OH, which is a medium-sized city with a predominantly White community and a median household income of $23,960. This school is part of the Martins Ferry City School District, which has a total student enrollment of 999.
The head school administrator, Mr. Jeffrey G. Oberdick, oversees the school's staff, including thirty-seven full-time "equivalent" teachers serving the student body with an average class size of 17.8. The majority of students enrolled are White, making up about ninety-two percent of all students.
Being eligible for a school-wide Title I program, this school has access to state and federal assistance to help low-income and at risk students.
- Jim Brown-Ohio State Golf Coach
- Lou Groza-Cleveland Browns Kicker,Offensive tackle Member NFL Hall of Fame
- Alex Groza-was an American basketball player who was banned from the NBA for life in 1951 for point shaving.
- James A. Wright-a Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on November 5, 2010. Retrieved 2009-12-21.