Martinsried is mostly known as the location of the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology and the accompanying biotechnology campus, which actually straddles the Munich/Planegg border. The campus is contingent with the Großhadern hospital campus, housing most of the Faculty of Medicine of the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich. The Faculty of Chemistry and a part of the Biology Faculty of the university have relocated to this new campus in 1999 and 2005.
Martinsried is located in the "Münchner Schotterebene" and borders directly the urban area of Munich near Großhadern. The village center lies about 2.5 km from the centre of Planegg and about 15 km southwest of Munich's city centre.
The Martinsried research campus can be reached by the Munich subway line U6 from the Großhadern (change to bus 266) or Klinikum Großhadern stations (15 min. walk). Planning is now underway for a possible future extension of the U6 line to Martinsried.
It is expected that from 2020, Martinsried will be connected to the Munich U-Bahn. On December 16, 2014, the Bavarian government decided to continue the Munich U-Bahn line 6-West from Klinikum Großhadern to Martinsried. 73.5 million euro were invested and, about 900 meters long route is to be built from 2016 and will go into operation in 2020. The extension of the U6 in the south to Martinsried was already decided on July 20, 2009 by the Munich City Council, but the original opening 2014/2015 could not be realized. After the construction of the U9 clasp the U6 at the Klinikum Großhadern would end, and the U9 would continue after Martinsried. Later, Martinsried and Planegg could also be connected via S-Bahn.
The Catholic and Evangelical Churches each have a kindergarten in the village, there are also three nursery schools, maintained by the worker's welfare. The suburb operates a primary school.
- Heike Werner: Architektur-Ausflüge ab München: Würmtal & Umgebung, München, 2011, ISBN 978-3-9809471-4-5
- "Verlängerung U-Bahnlinie U6". Innenministerium Bayern. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Kindergärten bei www.planegg.de Archived 2010-06-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kinderkrippen bei www.planegg.de Archived 2007-05-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kinderhorte bei www.planegg.de[permanent dead link]
- Grundschule Martinsried Archived 2012-09-13 at the Wayback Machine.