|Marttila Sankt Mårtens|
|Marttilan kunta Sankt Mårtens kommun|
Location of Marttila in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Carita Maisila|
|• Total||195.99 km2 (75.67 sq mi)|
|• Land||195.27 km2 (75.39 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.71 km2 (0.27 sq mi)|
|Area rank||264th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||269th largest in Finland|
|• Density||10.23/km2 (26.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.6%|
|• 15 to 64||62.2%|
|• 65 or older||22.2%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southwest Finland region. The municipality has a population of 1,997 (31 August 2017) and covers an area of 195.99 square kilometres (75.67 sq mi) of which 0.71 km2 (0.27 sq mi) is water. The population density is 10.23 inhabitants per square kilometre (26.5/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
During the Swedish domestic war regarding who was to be king, an important battle took place here 29 August 1599. Troops under Axel Kurck, supporting king Sigismund were defeated by troops supported duke Karl, soon to be king Karl IX. Karl more or less already ruled Sweden and what is Finland nowadays, and Sigismund were based in Poland. There is a memorial, erected 1934, to be seen in Marttila. Martilla is along what at that time was called "Tavastlands Oxväg", in Finnish language now posted as "Hämeen Härkätie" which in English translates to "Oxroad of Häme".
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2017" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Marttila at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Marttila – Official website (in Finnish)
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|