The musical had several readings. A reading was held in 2000, with Rupert Holmes as the writer (replacing Aaron Sorkin), and featuring Carol Lawrence as Marty's mother. Another reading was held in July 2001 in New York City, with direction by Robert Longbottom. The next reading was held in February 2002, with John C Reilly heading the cast. 
The musical premiered in October 2002 at the Huntington Theatre in Boston. The adaptation featured a book by Rupert Holmes, music by Charles Strouse and Lee Adams, and choreography by Rob Ashford. The production was directed by Mark Brokaw and starred John C. Reilly in the title role.
- Simonson, Robert. "Strouse Musical Marty to Have Reading in NYC Feb. 5; Reilly Stars" playbill.com, January 29, 2002
- Riedel, Michael. "Melodies for 'Marty' Strouse and Adams Team Uo for Next New Musical" NY Post, May 30, 2001
- "2002-2003 Season". Huntington Theatre Company. Archived from the original on 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Hernandez, Ernio (21 Feb 2003). "Musical Marty with John C. Reilly Coming to Broadway Next Season". Playbill. Archived from the original on 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Taylor, Markland. "Review. 'Marty' Variety, November 4, 2002
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Musical Marty with John C. Reilly Coming to Broadway Next Season" playbill.com, February 21, 2003