This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1950 (age 70–71)|
Marty Callner (born 1950 in Cincinnati, Ohio) is an American television director, who has made music videos, comedy specials, concert specials, and television shows, in a career spanning from 1977 to present day. He is the creator of HBO's Hard Knocks and has been nominated and won numerous Emmys, MTV Video Music Awards, DGAs and CableACE Awards.
Callner's directorial credits on music videos include videos for Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Chaka Khan, Cher, Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Kiss, Poison, Ratt, The Cranberries, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Whitesnake and ZZ Top.
His music video specials include Bette Midler's Diva Las Vegas, Pat Benatar's In Concert, Britney Spears: Live from Las Vegas, Diana Ross Live at Caesar's Palace, Fleetwood Mac's Mirage Tour, Garth Brooks Live from Central Park, Gladys Knight Live at the Greek Theatre, Gloria Estefan's Caribbean Soul: The Atlantis Concert, Justin Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveShow, Marc Anthony's Concert from Madison Square Garden, Paul Simon Live at the Tower Theatre, Rolling Stones' Four Flicks, Stevie Nicks's Bella Donna, and Whitney Houston's Whitney: The Concert for a New South Africa.
He has also directed recordings of performances by comedians including Pee-wee Herman, Sam Kinison, George Carlin, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, Dane Cook, John Leguizamo, Billy Crystal, George Lopez, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Whitney Cummings, and Will Ferrell.
Awards and nominations
- Emmy Awards
- 1991: Outstanding Lighting Direction (Electronic) for a Drama Series, Variety Series, Miniseries or a Special (Cher... at the Mirage)
- 1997: Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special (Diva Las Vegas), Outstanding Directing for a Variety or Music Program (Diva Las Vegas)
- 1998: Outstanding Directing for a Variety or Music Program (Garth: Live from Central Park)
- 1999: Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special (Jerry Seinfeld: 'I'm Telling You for the Last Time')
- 2003: Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special (Robin Williams: Live on Broadway), Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special (Rolling Stones: Forty Licks World Tour Live at Madison Square Garden)
- Directors Guild of America Awards
- 1999: Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical/Variety (Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You for the Last Time)
- 2003: Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical/Variety (Robin Williams: Live on Broadway)
- 2004: Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical/Variety (Rolling Stones: Forty Licks World Tour Live at Madison Square Garden)
- CableACE Awards
- 1995: Music Special (Madonna: The Girlie Show - Live Down Under)