|Born||October 10, 1947|
|Occupation||Author, designer, consultant|
|Notable works||The Brand Gap, Zag, Metaskills|
Marty Neumeier is an American author and speaker who writes on the topics of brand, design, innovation, and creativity. He currently serves as Director of Transformation for Liquid Agency, a branding agency headquartered in San Jose, California.
Neumeier attended Art Center College of Design from 1967 to 1969. For 15 years he worked in advertising and brand design, as a communication designer and writer in Southern California. In 1984 he moved to Silicon Valley to work with clients such as Adobe, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, and Symantec. By 1998 his firm Neumeier Design Team created retail packaging for software products, including Filemaker, Norton Antivirus, Apple system software, and HP LaserJet. During this time he served as a contributing editor for the magazine Communication Arts.
In 1996 he founded the "seminal but now-defunct design magazine Critique", a quarterly publication about design thinking. Designers contributing to Critique included Robert Bringhurst, Ivan Chermayeff, Milton Glaser, Steven Heller, Stefan Sagmeister, Paula Scher, David Stuart, and Massimo Vignelli.
In 2002, Neumeier started Neutron, a San Francisco consulting firm that specialized in internal branding. There he wrote three books on branding: The Brand Gap, Zag, and The Designful Company. Zag was included in The 100 Best Business Books of All Time by Jack Covert and Todd Sattersten. He also served on the Board of Directors of AIGA, known until 2005 as the American Institute of Graphic Arts, developing the organization's first mission statement. He was president of AIGA Center for Brand Experience, where he edited and published The Dictionary of Brand.
In 2009, Neutron merged with Liquid Agency, which named Neumeier the firm's Director of Transformation. At Liquid he wrote two books on business creativity, Metaskills and The 46 Rules of Genius, as well as an updated version of The Dictionary of Brand for Google. He currently maintains two blog series, Steal This Idea and The Rules of Genius. He has presented talks and workshops at events such as the UX conference in London and the Design Management Institute's Remix conference. His slide presentation on The Brand Gap has been viewed over three million times.
- The Brand Gap: How to Bridge the Distance between Business Strategy and Design, 2003, New Riders Press: A book about brand-building in the post industrial age
- The Dictionary of Brand, 2004, AIGA: A pocket-sized glossary of brand terms, co-developed with Willoughby Design. Out of print
- Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands, 2006, New Riders Press: A book offering a framework for brand differentiation
- The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation, 2008, New Riders Press: A book about branding and creative collaboration for corporate leaders
- Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age, 2012, New Riders Press: A book about skills for succeeding in the age of intelligent machines
- The 46 Rules of Genius: An Innovator's Guide to Creativity, 2014, New Riders Press: A book of concise insights about how people innovate and create
- The Brand Flip: Why Customers Now Run Companies—and How You Can Profit from It, 2015, New Riders Press: Sequel to The Brand Gap about how to build brands in an era of customer dominance
- Brand A-Z: An Interactive Dictionary of 1,000 Essential Brand Terms, 2017, Amazon Digital Services: An illustrated ebook with hyperlinked terms
"Secrets of Design", Critique, 1996-2001: A series of 15 articles on various aspects of design thinking.
"Six Predictions for the Millenium", Critique, Issue 7, 1998: An article that predicted the dot-com bust and discussed design trends.
"The Aesthetics of Management", Change This, Issue 54, 2009. An essay on the art of business.
Dreaming: A Meta Skill for the Future, Harvard Business Review, April 21, 2014. A case-study article on the value of imagination.
Michael Porter and Clayton Christensen Are Both Wrong About Finding the Future of Business Education, Forbes, July 12, 2014. A call for design thinking instead of traditional business thinking.
Ten Ways to Jumpstart Creativity, Huffington Post, October 13, 2014. Tips for applying your imagination to business challenges.
The Rules of Genius: An Innovator’s Guide to Creativity, Harvard Business Review, May 1, 2015. A case-study article on innovation skills.
- Design Management Institute Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine., 2014. Accessed January 23, 2014.
- Graphis 338 Archived 2014-02-03 at the Wayback Machine., Barnett, C. "Interview with Marty Neumeier: Life after Critique." Graphis 338 (2002): 94-103. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- AIGA Design Archives, Critique Magazine, Fall 1996. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- Strategy + Business review of Critique Magazine, Hurst, David K. "A Robot Ate My Job: Review of Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age by Marty Neumeier." Strategy + Business 72, Autumn 2013. Accessed September 18, 2013.
- The Brand Gap review, Morningstar Multimedia, January 2013. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- The Brand Gap review, Scanlon, Jessie. "The Onliness of Strong Brands." Bloomberg Businessweek, November 2006. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- The Designful Company discussion Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine., "Brand Gap and Zag Author Marty Neumeier's New Book The Designful Company on Virtual Tour." Sandblog, April 2009. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- "Books in the 100 Best", Covert, Jack and Sattersten, Todd. Blog: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- AIGA.org, Accessed January 18, 2014.
- The Dictionary of Brand, Accessed January 18, 2014.
- "Liquid Agency Merges with Neutron LLC", Bloomberg Business Wire. November 10, 2009. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- Metaskills interview, "Marty Neumeier on Identifying Your Metaskills." Podcast: Author Talk with Nancy Aldrich-Ruenzel. February 8, 2013. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- Speakers at UX London 2013, Accessed January 23, 2014.
- Speakers at Remix 2008 Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine., Accessed January 23, 2014.
- The Brand Gap slideshow, Accessed January 18, 2014.
- "Marty Neumeier's Innovation Workshop." Pearson Higher Education. Accessed January 18, 2014.
- Marty Neumeier’s official website
- Marty Neumeier's Liquid Agency bio
- Amazon Author Page for Marty Neumeier
- Slideshow: The Brand Gap
- Blog: Best Quotes from Marty Neumeier’s Book “The Brand Gap”
- Slideshow: The Dictionary of Brand
- Slideshow: Zag
- Blog: Steal This Idea
- Blog: The Rules of Genius
- Marty Neumeier on Twitter
- Marty Neumeier on Czech Wiki