Martyn Jones (painter)
Jones in his studio, 2009
|Born||Aberdare, South Wales|
|Education||Chelsea School of Art
Bath Academy of Art
Jones, who was born in Aberaman, near Aberdare in Rhondda Cynon Taf, graduated with an M.A. in Fine Art from Chelsea School of Art, London and was awarded Junior Fellowship at Bath Academy of Art. Among his tutors were the British artists Adrian Heath and Patrick Heron. His work is represented in the UK by the Ffin-y-Parc Gallery and Kooywood Gallery, Wales and the No. 9 Gallery in Birmingham, and in USA by Artefact Pardo Gallery, Miami and the Robert Steele Gallery, New York.
During 2008 Jones staged his first major international solo exhibition "Overland" at the Robert Steele Gallery, Chelsea, Manhattan, comprising over forty works. The Robert Steele Gallery has represented Jones' work, since 2004, in a variety of international and themed group exhibitions. In March 2010 Jones exhibited his second solo-show at the Robert Steele Gallery,
His work is represented in numerous public and private collections in Europe and the US He is represented by the Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff and by the Robert Steele Gallery, New York City.
Jones describes his own work as:
My work is descriptive in essence – natural shape and form taken from the world at large. My paintings have been described as capturing a natural ambiguity, but that ambiguity should not be construed as being manufactured in any way. Within each image an open invitation is challengingly presented to the percipient. It is difficult to determine when a painting is finished, but usually I instinctively know when that moment has arrived. I can say more often than not, my paintings finish themselves.— Martyn Jones
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2012 Artefact Pardo Gallery, Palm Beach, Miami, US
- 2012 Aquifer, Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- 2012 Aquifer, Oriel Ynys Môn, Anglesey, Wales
- 2011 Off the Wall Gallery, Cardiff, Wales (solo show)
- 2010 Atelier, Robert Steele Gallery, New York, US
- 2010 Off the Wall Contemporary Art, Cardiff, Wales
- 2009 Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- 2008 Overland, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- 2008 Cynon Valley Museum, Wales
- 2008 Rhondda Heritage Museum, Wales
- 2007 Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- 2006 The Project Room, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
Selected group exhibitions
- 2011 'Jones/Melero' Espacio 1440 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, US
- 2011 'ArtAt' Arts Festival, Pembrokeshire, Wales
- 2011 'Etcetera – 4 Contemporary Painters', Oxmarket Centre of Arts, Chichester, West Sussex, England
- 2010 Group-show, Blackheath Gallery, London, England
- 2010 Group show, Cowbridge Gallery, Wales
- 2009 Summer in Suite 402, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- 2009 Group Show, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- 2009 National Eisteddfod, Bala, Wales
- 2009 International Artexpo, Jacob Javits Center, New York City
- 2008 Ffres Ysbryd/Spirit Wales Newport Museum and Gallery, Wales
- 2008 International Artists Summer Show, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- 2008 56 Group Wales, Tenby Museum, Oriel Myrddin, Wales
- 2007 Chelsea Summer Dreaming, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- 2007 Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff, Wales
- 2007 West Wales Arts Centre, Fishguard, Wales
- 2007 Attic Gallery, Swansea, Wales
- 2006 on the Horizon, Robert Steele Gallery, New York City
- Ashby Media, New York City.
- Harlem Homes, New York.
- Feederle-Schlaffer, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Allied Irish Bank, Wales.
- Cynon Valley Museum and Gallery, Wales.
- University of Dallas, Texas.
- University of Glamorgan, Wales.
- Contemporary Art Society, London.
- Wales International Center, New York.
- Mosaic Information Solutions Ltd., Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Moore, David (2012). A Taste of the Avant-garde: 56 Group Wales. Brecon, Powys: Crooked Window. p. 74. ISBN 978-0-9563602-1-2.
- 2 Painting(s) by or after Martyn Jones, Art UK
- Karen Price, Western Mail, 13 March 2009, Martyn Jones’ exhibition at Kooywood Gallery, Cardiff
- "Martyn Jones – Artist Profile". Greenstagegallery.co.uk. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- 2009 Western Mail When Colour is the Key Karen Price.
- 2008 New York Art World magazine, 'Art Review'.
- 2008 Celtic Newspapers Artist who's a draw in States Kathryn Williams.
- 2007 Western Mail, Favourite Room, Leah Bryant.
- 2006 Western Mail, Visual Arts, Studio Interview, Karen Price.
- 2005 ITV Wales News, Artist Studio Interview'.
- 2005 Western Mail, New York Gets a Taste of Welsh Abstract, Emily Lambert.
- 2002 Western Mail, Artists Rise to a Challenge, Mel Gooding.
- 2002 A Propos, National Museums and Galleries of Wales, Michael Tooby.
- 2002 Western Mail Bay Building with a New York Feel, Karen Price.
- 2001 Hello Magazine Diary of the Week.
- 2001 Feed the Beast, BBC TV
- 2000 On Painting for Ysbryd/Spirit Wales, Norbet Lynton.