Martyn Lawrence Bullard
Martyn Lawrence Bullard
Martin Lawrence Bullard
30 March 1967
|Occupation||Interior designer, author, television personality|
|Organization||Martyn Lawrence Bullard Design|
|Live, Love & Decorate|
|Television||Million Dollar Decorators Hollywood Me|
|Awards||Andrew Martin International Interior Designer of the Year |
Architectural Digest AD100
Elle Decor Top 25 Designers
Martin "Martyn" Lawrence Bullard is an English interior designer in Los Angeles, author, and television personality. Martyn has been consistently named as one of the world’s top 100 interior designers by Architectural Digest, featured permanently in Elle Decor’s A-List, and named one of the top 25 designers by "The Hollywood Reporter". A popular television personality, Martyn starred in the hit Bravo series Million Dollar Decorators and Channel 4's Hollywood Me in the UK, along with a multitude of design television programs spanning over 65 countries.
Born in Lewisham, London, Bullard began his career in design while in his teens. His father, an actor turned businessman, would accompany his son to the Greenwich Antiques Market in South London, where he rented a stall. At 13, Bullard began to buy and sell what he called "oddments," and learned to identify decorator items that were valuable or well-designed. By the time he was 16, he had developed a clientele of prominent dealers and collecters, including the head buyer for Ralph Lauren Antiques, who shipped Bullard's pieces to the United States to dress the windows of Lauren's Madison Avenue and Rodeo Drive boutiques.
At 17, Bullard decided to pursue a career as an actor, and used his earnings to attend the Lee Strasberg Actors Studio in London's Covent Garden. While in school, Bullard continued to buy and sell antiques and raised enough money to move to Los Angeles in 1994.
After moving to Los Angeles, Bullard was cast in several roles, including a part as Eartha Kitt's boy toy in Ed Wood's final film, I Woke Up Early The Day I Died. One of the film's producers visited Bullard's home, and, impressed by its decor, invited Bullard to decorate his office. From there, Bullard was hired to decorate the office and home of Liz Heller, a Capitol Records executive, and was eventually asked to help create Heller's wedding to producer John Bard Manulis. As a guest at the event, he was seated next to Cheryl Tiegs, who became his first celebrity client. Together, Tiegs and Bullard transformed Tiegs' Bel Air home into a "Balinese-inspired pavilion," which was featured in publications worldwide, and appeared on the cover of more than a dozen magazines. After his success with Cheryl Tiegs' house, Bullard began to build a celebrity clientele. His early clients included Rebecca Romijn and John Stamos, Christina Aguilera, William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman, Eva Mendes, Patti LaBelle, and Edward Norton. In more recent years, Bullard has gone on to decorate homes for Kylie Jenner, Khloe Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Cher, Ellen Pompeo, Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne, Kid Rock, and Tommy Hilfiger, among many others. While best known for his high-end residential design, Bullard has also designed several premiere hospitality properties around the world including the Colony Palms Hotel, the Jimmy Choo boutiques in London and Osaka, Japan. as well as Château Gütsch Hotel in Lucerne, Switzerland. His most recent hospitality endeavors include The Sands Hotel in Indian Wells, California, Hotel Californian in Santa Barbara, The Residencies at Four Seasons Los Angeles, and the Whitley, a boutique hotel in Hollywood scheduled to open in early 2020.
In 2010, Bullard won the "Oscar of the Interior Design World," the Andrew Martin International Designer of the Year Award. Bullard also has two books published by Rizzoli, Live, Love & Decorate, reached its third reprint in its first 16 weeks of release, and topped the best-seller list in the interior design genre. The book featured 16 of Bullard's projects, including Cher's "fantasy villa," and Tamara Mellon's $30 million Manhattan penthouse. His second, "Design & Decorate", published in 2016, featured his own Palm Springs, California vacation home alongside 9 projects, giving readers a range of his style across both residential and commercial designs.
Bullard's style has been described as "Hollywood glamour meets ethnic exotica," and "eclectic, luxurious, sophisticated, comfortable and fearless." He has been noted for his "adventurous use of texture, colour and extreme attention to detail," and his "strong command of proportion and scale, a deft hand with color and pattern, and an exuberantly global sensibility."
From 2011 to 2013, Bullard starred in the hit Bravo series Million Dollar Decorators, examining the world of high-end interior designers. In a 2012 interview, Bullard, whose appearances on the show frequently feature his celebrity clients, said "Celebrities live their lives in the spotlight. As such, it's vital for their homes to be sanctuaries – places for complete relaxation and privacy. My one great joy with my celebrity clients over the years has been their passion to live out their fantasies, be it an Indian palace in Hollywood, a Tuscan villa in Malibu or an English country cottage in New York City. I'm here to be their enabler and make these fantasies into decorative reality."
Bullard also starred in Hollywood Me, a series which brought unsuspecting Brits to Los Angeles for personal makeovers while Bullard redecorated their homes. Hollywood Me, which won a National Reality Television Award in its inaugural season, launched in the UK in 2012 and aired in South Africa and Australia in 2013. He appears frequently on The Talk, and in Hollywood at Home design segments onThis Morning on ITV. Bullard portrayed himself on The Young and the Restless (2008 and 2012), and on the television series Jane By Design (2012). He was also featured on TLC's Material World in 2008. In 2020, he was special guest judge in the episode three of fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars by VH1.
In addition to his design studio, Martyn has created an eponymous collection of indoor and outdoor fabrics, wallpaper, furniture, and home accessories available through his firm. In 2010, Bullard introduced a fabric collection he designed in collaboration with Schumacher, a high-end interior design retailer; he won the UK Focus Best of the Best Fabric Designer Award in 2011 and 2012 for the collection, which features prints and wovens derived from antique textiles, motifs and patterns. Bullard went on to create his own signature fabric collection, with most recent collections including a high performance (woven) line that launched in October 2019, and a new collection planned to launch in Spring of 2020. Bullard has also collaborated with and designed tile lines for Ann Sacks, rugs with The Rug Company, a collection of dinnerware with porcelain maker Haviland Limoges, as well as collaborations with silver maker Christofle and crystal manufacturer Daum.
In the spring of 2017, Martyn opened his own atelier shop on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood showcasing his most recent brand collaborations including his wallpaper line with Cole & Son, the launch of indoor and outdoor performance fabrics with textile giant Perennials, a lighting collection with Corbett, and a collection of home décor, home furnishings, and art with the leading home luxury multi-channel retailer, Frontgate. The three exclusive collections that Martyn has created with Frontgate are part of an ongoing, multi-year partnership with the retailer. 
Bullard is actively involved with amfAR, the Sharon Osbourne Colon Cancer Program, P.S. Arts, and DIFFA (Design Industry Foundation Fighting AIDS). In 2013, Bullard was recruited by the Designer Dollhouse Showcase to design a dollhouse, which was auctioned to benefit the UCLA Children's Discovery and Innovation Institute at the Mattel Children's Hospital.
Awards and recognition
- Andrew Martin International Interior Designer of the Year (2010)
- Architectural Digest AD 100 (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005)
- Elle Decor A List (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006)
- Elle Decor Top 25 Interior Designers (2010)
- Gold Key Award, Best Guestroom Luxury, Hotel Californian (2018)
- Gold Key Awards, Best Hotel Suite Design, Hotel Californian (2018)
- Luxe Interiors + Designs Gold List (2012, 2018)
- Departures World's Best in Travel and Design; Most Influential Designers Working Today (2013)
- Architectural Design France Top 100 Designers in the World (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Architectural Design Russia Top 25 Designers in the World (2012, 2013)
- The Hollywood Reporter 25 Most Influential Designers in L.A. (2012)
- UK Focus: Best of the Best: Collection of the Year (Schumacher Collection), Focus Design, London (2012)
- Collection of the Year, Focus Design, Schumacher, Collection UK Focus: Best of the Best (2012)
- Top 100 Designers in the World, Architectural Design France (2011)
- UK Focus Best of the Best: Fabric Designer, Focus Design, London (2011)
- Interior Designer of the Year, Andrew Martin International Design Awards (2010)
- Top 25 Interior Designers, Elle Décor (2010)
- Conde Nast Top American Tastemaker
- McKeough, Tim (25 May 2011). "A Celebrity Designer in the Service of Glamour". May 25, 2011. New York Times. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Walden, Celia (29 May 2013). "Meet Mr Lawrence-Bullard, Hollywood's favourite interior designer". May 29, 2013. London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Beale, Lauren (10 May 2013). "Interior designer knows stars' homes inside out". May 10, 2013. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Barnett, Meredith (7 November 2011). "Million Dollar Decorator: Martyn Lawrence Bullard". November 7, 2011. Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Law, Katie. "Martyn Lawrence Bullard: I've built my entire career on being a London boy in Hollywood". June 13, 2013. London Evening Standard. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Tsang, Jacqueline (March 2013). "Seeing stars: Interior designer Martyn Lawrence Bullard on making it big". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Keeps, David. "STAR TURN: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD'S HOLLYWOOD HOME". 2011. Elle Decor. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Carreon, Blue (26 May 2011). "Martyn Lawrence-Bullard Interview on Fashion And Interior Design". May 26, 2011. Huffington Post. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "The Story". 2010. Andrew Martin International. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Kuntz, Barbara. "Million Dollar Decorator Martyn Lawrence Bullard spills his celeb design secrets & offers tips for your own home". March 21, 2012. Culture Map Houston. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Flanagan, Lauren. "Books to Cherish: Live, Love & Decorate". 2010. About.com: Interior Decorating. Archived from the original on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Expert Touch". 2012. MSN. Archived from the original on 11 September 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Keeps, David. "STAR TURN: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD'S HOLLYWOOD HOME". 2011. Elle Decor. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Interview with Martyn Lawrence-Bullard". February 1, 2012. Design Elements. Archived from the original on 17 September 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Norum, Roger. "Martyn Lawrence Bullard – WALLS OF FAME". 2010. Palace Magazine. Archived from the original on 20 January 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN". 2012. Architectural Digest. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Million Dollar Decorators Season 1". 2011. Bravo. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Reimer, Susan. "Bravo's 'Million Dollar Decorator' dishes out inspiration, advice". February 16, 2012. Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "National Reality TV Awards 2013: winners in pictures". September 17, 2013. National Reality Television Awards. Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Hollywood Me". 2013. Channel Four. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Martyn Lawrence Bullard at IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Bentley, Jean. "'Jane By Design': Spoilers on the second half of Season 1". May 30, 2012. Zap2It. Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Douglas, Danielle (25 February 2012). "Martyn Lawrence-Bullard talks design". February 24, 2012. The Washington Post.
- Rus, Mayer. "Q+A: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD ON HIS NEW WALL COVERINGS". June 17, 2013. Architectural Digest. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Fender, Abby. "Interior Designer Martyn Lawrence-Bullard". November 9, 2012. Los Angeles Confidential. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Glentzer, Molly. "Celebrity style: Martyn Lawrence Bullard". March 26, 2012. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Social Interests". martynlawrencebullard.com. Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Scene in LA" (PDF). December 2008. Angeleno Magazine. Retrieved 17 September 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Bubbles, Monte. "Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, Maria Menounos & Martyn Lawrence Bullard at Kreiss 75th Anniversary Celebration". April 20, 2012. CNN iReport. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Chelsea Handler MCs amfAR event honoring Kevin Huvane". October, 2012. Society News LA. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Schellenbaum, Amy (25 June 2013). "Yes, This Dollhouse is Indeed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard". Curbed. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Murg, Stephanie (9 September 2010). "Alberto Alessi, Martyn Lawrence Bullard Receive International Design Honors". Media Bistro. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- [2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN "2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN"] Check
|url=value (help). Architectural Digest. 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Staff, Elle Decor (2012). "ELLE DECOR'S 2012 A-LIST". Elle Decor. Archived from the original on 22 October 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Editorial Calendar" (PDF). Luxe Interiors + Design. Fall 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- McKeough, Tim (2012). "The World's Best in Travel And Design". Departures. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "The 25 Most Influential Designers in LA". The Hollywood Reporter. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2013.