Martyn Lawrence Bullard
Martyn Lawrence Bullard
Martin Lawrence Bullard
30 March 1967
|Residence||Los Angeles, CA, U.S.|
|Occupation||Interior designer, author, television personality|
|Organization||Martyn Lawrence Bullard Design|
|Live, Love & Decorate|
|Television||Million Dollar Decorators Hollywood Me|
|Awards||Andrew Martin International Interior Designer of the Year |
Architectural Digest AD100
Elle Decor Top 25 Designers
Martin "Martyn" Lawrence Bullard is an English interior designer in Los Angeles, author, and television personality. Named as one of the world's top interior designers by Architectural Digest, Bullard stars in both the Bravo series Million Dollar Decorators and Channel 4's Hollywood Me.
Born in Lewisham, London, Bullard began his career in design while in his teens. His father, an actor turned businessman, would accompany his son to the Greenwich Antiques Market in South London, where he rented a stall. At 13, Bullard began to buy and sell what he called "oddments," and learned to identify decorator items that were valuable or well-designed. By the time he was 16, he had developed a clientele of prominent dealers and collecters, including the head buyer for Ralph Lauren Antiques, who shipped Bullard's pieces to the United States to dress the windows of Lauren's Madison Avenue and Rodeo Drive boutiques.
At 17, Bullard decided to pursue a career as an actor, and used his earnings to attend the Lee Strasberg Actors Studio in London's Covent Garden. While in school, Bullard continued to buy and sell antiques and raised enough money to move to Los Angeles in 1994.
After moving to Los Angeles, Bullard was cast in several roles, including a part as Eartha Kitt's boy toy in Ed Wood's final film, I Woke Up Early The Day I Died. One of the film's producers visited Bullard's home, and, impressed by its decor, invited Bullard to decorate his office. From there, Bullard was hired to decorate the office and home of Liz Heller, a Capitol Records executive, and was eventually asked to help create Heller's wedding to producer John Bard Manulis. As a guest at the event, he was seated next to Cheryl Tiegs, who became his first celebrity client. Together, Tiegs and Bullard transformed Tiegs' Bel Air home into a "Balinese-inspired pavilion," which was featured in publications worldwide, and appeared on the cover of more than a dozen magazines. After his success with Cheryl Tiegs' house, Bullard began to build a celebrity clientele. His early clients included Rebecca Romijn and John Stamos, Christina Aguilera, William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman, Eva Mendes, Patti LaBelle, and Edward Norton. Later, he decorated homes for Cher, Ellen Pompeo, Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne, Aaron Sorkin, Kid Rock, and Tommy Hilfiger, among others. While best known for high-end residential design, Bullard has additionally worked on commercial properties, including the Colony Palms Hotel and the Jimmy Choo boutiques in London and Osaka, Japan. Bullard is currently designing several luxury resorts and restaraurants, including the Château Gütsch Hotel in Lucerne, Switzerland, and Red O Restaurant in Newport Beach, California.
In 2010, Bullard won the "Oscar of the Interior Design World," the Andrew Martin International Designer of the Year Award. In 2011, Rizzolli published Bullard's book, Live, Love & Decorate, which reached its third reprint in its first 16 weeks of release, and topped the best-seller list in the interior design genre. The book featured 16 of Bullard's projects, including Cher's "fantasy villa," and Tamara Mellon's $30 million Manhattan penthouse. The book also included Bullard's home in the Whitley Heights neighbourhood of Los Angeles, which was previously owned by Rudolph Valentino, Gloria Swanson, and William Faulkner.
Bullard's style has been described as "Hollywood glamour meets ethnic exotica," and "eclectic, luxurious, sophisticated, comfortable and fearless." He has been noted for his "adventurous use of texture, colour and extreme attention to detail," and his "strong command of proportion and scale, a deft hand with color and pattern, and an exuberantly global sensibility."
Bullard is a star of Million Dollar Decorators, a Bravo docu-series which airs in 62 countries. Examining the world of high-end interior designers, Million Dollar Decorators premiered in 2011. In a 2012 interview, Bullard, whose appearances on the show frequently feature his celebrity clients, said "Celebrities live their lives in the spotlight. As such, it's vital for their homes to be sanctuaries – places for complete relaxation and privacy. My one great joy with my celebrity clients over the years has been their passion to live out their fantasies, be it an Indian palace in Hollywood, a Tuscan villa in Malibu or an English country cottage in New York City. I'm here to be their enabler and make these fantasies into decorative reality."
Bullard also stars in Hollywood Me, a series which brings unsuspecting Brits to Los Angeles for personal makeovers while Bullard redecorates their homes. Hollywood Me, which won a National Reality Television Award in its inaugural season, launched in the UK in 2012 and will air in South Africa and Australia in 2013. He appears frequently on The Talk, and in Hollywood at Home design segments onThis Morning on ITV. Bullard portrayed himself on The Young and the Restless (2008 and 2012), and on the television series Jane By Design (2012). He was also featured on TLC's Material World in 2008.
In 2010, Bullard introduced a fabric collection he designed in collaboration with Schumacher, a high-end interior design retailer; he won the UK Focus Best of the Best Fabric Designer Award in 2011 and 2012 for the collection, which features prints and wovens derived from antique textiles, motifs and patterns. Bullard has licensing agreements for porcelain, crystal, rugs, tiles, flooring, wallpaper and fabrics with luxury design companies, and has launched his own lines of furniture, fabric, and wallpaper collections, as well as home fragrances, jewellery, and clothing. 
Bullard is actively involved with amfAR, the Sharon Osbourne Colon Cancer Program, P.S. Arts, and DIFFA (Design Industry Foundation Fighting AIDS). In 2013, Bullard was recruited by the Designer Dollhouse Showcase to design a dollhouse, which was auctioned to benefit the UCLA Children's Discovery and Innovation Institute at the Mattel Children's Hospital.
Awards and recognition
- Andrew Martin International Interior Designer of the Year (2010)
- Architectural Digest AD100, (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012,2013
- Elle Decor Top 25 Interior Designers (2010)
- Elle Decor A List (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Luxe Interiors + Designs Gold List (2012)
- Architectural Design France Top 100 Designers in the World (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Architectural Design Russia Top 25 Designers in the World (2012, 2013)
- Conde Nast Top American Tastemaker
- UK Focus Best of the Best: Fabric Designer, Focus Design, London (2011)
- Departures World's Best in Travel and Design; Most Influential Designers Working Today (2013)
- The Hollywood Reporter 25 Most Influential Designers in L.A. (2012)
- UK Focus: Best of the Best: Collection of the Year (Schumacher Collection), Focus Design, London (2012)
- McKeough, Tim (25 May 2011). "A Celebrity Designer in the Service of Glamour". May 25, 2011. New York Times. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Walden, Celia (29 May 2013). "Meet Mr Lawrence-Bullard, Hollywood's favourite interior designer". May 29, 2013. London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Reimer, Susan. "Bravo's 'Million Dollar Decorator' dishes out inspiration, advice". February 16, 2012. Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Hollywood Me – Channel 4". 2013. Channel 4. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Beale, Lauren (10 May 2013). "Interior designer knows stars' homes inside out". May 10, 2013. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Barnett, Meredith (7 November 2011). "Million Dollar Decorator: Martyn Lawrence Bullard". November 7, 2011. Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Law, Katie. "Martyn Lawrence Bullard: I've built my entire career on being a London boy in Hollywood". June 13, 2013. London Evening Standard. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Tsang, Jacqueline (March 2013). "Seeing stars: Interior designer Martyn Lawrence Bullard on making it big". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Keeps, David. "STAR TURN: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD'S HOLLYWOOD HOME". 2011. Elle Decor. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Carreon, Blue (26 May 2011). "Martyn Lawrence-Bullard Interview on Fashion And Interior Design". May 26, 2011. Huffington Post. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "The Story". 2010. Andrew Martin International. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Kuntz, Barbara. "Million Dollar Decorator Martyn Lawrence Bullard spills his celeb design secrets & offers tips for your own home". March 21, 2012. Culture Map Houston. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Flanagan, Lauren. "Books to Cherish: Live, Love & Decorate". 2010. About.com: Interior Decorating. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Expert Touch". 2012. MSN. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Keeps, David. "STAR TURN: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD'S HOLLYWOOD HOME". March, 2012. Elle Decor. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Keeps, David. "STAR TURN: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD'S HOLLYWOOD HOME". 2011. Elle Decor. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Interview with Martyn Lawrence-Bullard". February 1, 2012. Design Elements. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Norum, Roger. "Martyn Lawrence Bullard – WALLS OF FAME". 2010. Palace Magazine. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN". 2012. Architectural Digest. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Million Dollar Decorators Season 1". 2011. Bravo. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "National Reality TV Awards 2013: winners in pictures". September 17, 2013. National Reality Television Awards. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Hollywood Me". 2013. Channel Four. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Martyn Lawrence Bullard at IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Bentley, Jean. "'Jane By Design': Spoilers on the second half of Season 1". May 30, 2012. Zap2It. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Douglas, Danielle (25 February 2012). "Martyn Lawrence-Bullard talks design". February 24, 2012. The Washington Post.
- Rus, Mayer. "Q+A: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD ON HIS NEW WALL COVERINGS". June 17, 2013. Architectural Digest. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Fender, Abby. "Interior Designer Martyn Lawrence-Bullard". November 9, 2012. Los Angeles Confidential. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Glentzer, Molly. "Celebrity style: Martyn Lawrence Bullard". March 26, 2012. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Social Interests". martynlawrencebullard.com. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Scene in LA" (PDF). December 2008. Angeleno Magazine. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Bubbles, Monte. "Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, Maria Menounos & Martyn Lawrence Bullard at Kreiss 75th Anniversary Celebration". April 20, 2012. CNN iReport. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Chelsea Handler MCs amfAR event honoring Kevin Huvane". October, 2012. Society News LA. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Schellenbaum, Amy (25 June 2013). "Yes, This Dollhouse is Indeed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard". Curbed. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Murg, Stephanie (9 September 2010). "Alberto Alessi, Martyn Lawrence Bullard Receive International Design Honors". Media Bistro. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- [2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN "2012 AD100: MARTYN LAWRENCE BULLARD DESIGN"] Check
|url=value (help). Architectural Digest. 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- Staff, Elle Decor (2012). "ELLE DECOR'S 2012 A-LIST". Elle Decor. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Editorial Calendar" (PDF). Luxe Interiors + Design. Fall 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- McKeough, Tim (2012). "The World's Best in Travel And Design". Departures. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "The 25 Most Influential Designers in LA". The Hollywood Reporter. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2013.