This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||24 February 1938|
Westport, New Zealand
|Died||14 October 2009(aged 71)|
Sanderson was one of the founders of Downstage Theatre in 1964 in Wellington, with a vision of a small professional company performing challenging works in an intimate venue. In the 1970s, Sanderson toured with multi-media group Blerta, and worked on films with Blerta members Bruno Lawrence and director Geoff Murphy. That decade he won a New Zealand Feltex Award for playing aviator Richard Pearse in a television film of the same title, and was nominated again for playing a British general in the historical miniseries The Governor, the most expensive TV drama made in New Zealand in that decade.
Sanderson's work as a screen director included a number of shorts featuring New Zealand poets, plus the 1989 feature Flying Fox in a Freedom Tree. Based on a work by Albert Wendt, Flying Fox is about a young Samoan caught between the values of his homeland and European colonisers.
Sanderson's other screen credits include Geoff Murphy's Utu, Jane Campion's An Angel at my Table, The Scarecrow, Old Scores, The Harp in the South, The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, a recurring guest role in the first two years of Shortland Street, Poor Man's Orange, Hercules episode The King of Thieves and The Rainbow Warrior.
- Ned Kelly (1970) - Fitzpatrick
- Autumn Fires (1977)
- Wild Man (1977) - Snake
- Solo (1978) - Jules Catweazle
- Jack Winter's Dream (1979) - Ballarat Jake
- The Journalist (1979) - Bert
- A Woman of Good Character (1980) - Reverend
- Squeeze (1980)
- Bad Blood (1981) - Les North
- Beyond Reasonable Doubt (1981) - Len Demler
- The Scarecrow (1982) - Ned - as Adult (voice)
- The Lost Tribe (1983) - Bill Thorne
- Wild Horses (1984) - Jones
- Trial Run (1984) - Alan West
- Utu (1984) - Vicar
- Sylvia (1985) - Inspector Gulland
- Queen City Rocker (1986) - Drunk Husband
- The Tale of Ruby Rose (1987) - Bennett
- Never Say Die (1988) - Farmer
- Mauri (1988) - Hospital Doctor (uncredited)
- An Angel at My Table (1990) - Frank Sargeson
- Old Scores (1991) - Acid Aitken
- Desperate Remedies (1993) - Maori Warrior / Townspeople
- The Last Tattoo (1994) - Ralph Simpson
- Savage Play (1995) - Henry
- Juloratoriet (1996) - Stephen Eliot
- Chicken (1996) - Bryce Tilfer
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Gate Keeper
- "Martyn Sanderson - Biography". Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- "Well loved New Zealand Actor Martyn Sanderson Dies". 2009-10-15. Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- "Well loved New Zealand Actor Martyn Sanderson Dies". hawkesbay.co.nz. 2009-10-15. Archived from the original on 13 February 2017. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "Death of Martyn Sanderson". Retrieved 2014-06-04.