|Bishop of Leicester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Leicester|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Sheffield and Rotherham (2010–2013)|
Bishop of Tewkesbury (2013–2016)
|Ordination||1995 (deacon); 1996 (priest)|
by David Lunn (deacon); Michael Gear (priest)
by Justin Welby
|Birth name||Martyn James Snow|
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
|Residence||Bishop's Lodge, Knighton|
|Alma mater||University of Sheffield|
Martyn James Snow (born 1968) is a British Anglican bishop. Since 2016, he has been the Bishop of Leicester. He previously served as Bishop of Tewkesbury from 2013 to 2016, and as Archdeacon of Sheffield and Rotherham from 2010 to 2013.
Early life and education
Snow was born in 1968 in Indonesia. He was educated at Sheffield University. He trained for ordination at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, an Anglican theological college in the evangelical tradition.
Snow was made a deacon at Petertide 1995 (2 July) by David Lunn, Bishop of Sheffield, at Sheffield Cathedral and ordained a priest the Petertide following (5 July 1996) by Michael Gear, Bishop of Doncaster at his title church (St Andrew's, Brinsworth). He was an assistant curate at Brinsworth with Catcliffe and Treeton before service with the Church Mission Society in Guinea. He was vicar of Christ Church, Pitsmoor from 2001 to 2010 and area dean of Ecclesfield from 2007.
On 25 September 2013, Snow was consecrated a bishop by Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, during a service in Westminster Abbey. In October 2013, he started his duties as Bishop of Tewkesbury, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Gloucester. He was acting diocesan Bishop of Gloucester from 5 August 2014 until Rachel Treweek took up the role of diocesan bishop in June 2015.
On 15 December 2015, it was announced that Snow would be translated to Leicester in 2016. Snow officially became Bishop of Leicester with the confirmation of his election on 22 February 2016. He then become the youngest diocesan bishop in the Church of England, aged 48. On 14 May 2016, a service of installation was held at Leicester Cathedral during which he was seated on his Cathedra and given the crozier of the Diocese of Leicester.
In May 2016 Snow was one of six bishops cited in the Guardian and Church Times as subject of Clergy Disciplinary Measure complaints owing to their alleged inaction on a survivor's disclosure. The bishops contested the complaints. All six bishops were pictured on a protest brochure which the survivor handed out at Steven Croft's enthronement as bishop of Oxford later that year. In 2018, Snow was reported in the media to be one of several bishops being investigated for failure to act on this safeguarding disclosure. The priest against whom the allegations were made, killed himself the day before due to appear in court.
- "Martyn James Snow". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance
- Snow, Martyn James. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 6 July 2017. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "The Bishop of Tewkesbury". Diocese of Gloucester. Church of England. Archived from the original on 7 March 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Bishop of Leicester: Martyn James Snow". GOV.UK. Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street. 15 December 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Petertide ordinations". Church Times (#6909). 14 July 1995. p. 12. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 6 July 2017 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Ordinations". Church Times (#6961). 12 July 1995. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 6 July 2017 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Yong, Michael (2 August 2013). "New Bishop of Tewkesbury youngest in C of E". Gloucestershire Echo. Retrieved 19 February 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Diocese of Gloucester — Letter from the Bishop of Tewkesbury Archived 2014-08-08 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 7 August 2014)
- Diocese of Leicester — Welcome to the New Bishop of Leicester Archived 2016-01-29 at Archive.today (Accessed 15 December 2015)
- Diocese of Leicester — Martyn confirmed for Leicester & photo on Twitter (Accessed 26 February 2016)
- "A quiet revolution, not an Evangelical takeover". Church Times. 19 February 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Welcome Bishop Martyn". Diocese of Leicester. Church of England. 14 May 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- "National Safeguarding Steering Group" (PDF). Church of England. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "November 20 2017 – National Safeguarding Steering Group [NSSG] and National Safeguarding Panel [NSP] – Church of England". The Bell Society. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Senior Anglican clergy accused of failing to act on rape allegations". The Guardian. 26 July 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Goddard Inquiry begins to sift through Church's evidence". Church Times. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Archbishop of York and four bishops accused of failing to act over historic rape claims". Christianity Today. 26 July 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Sex abuse survivors protest outside Christ Church enthronement and accuse bishop of ignoring rape claims". The Oxford Times. 30 September 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Ceremony to welcome new Bishop of Oxford is overshadowed by protest". ITV News. 30 September 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Police look at bishops' 'failure to act' over sex abuse claims". BBC News. 5 March 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Police investigate archbishop for 'failures' over child abuse claims". The Times. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Archbishop of York could face police investigation for failing to act over abuse allegations". Christian Today. 5 March 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
|Church of England titles|
| Archdeacon of Sheffield and Rotherham
| Bishop of Tewkesbury
| Bishop of Leicester