Martyred Intellectuals Day
|Day of the Martyred Intellectuals|
|Official name||Bengali: শহীদ বুদ্ধিজীবী দিবস Shaheed Buddhijibi Dibôsh'|
|Significance||Commemoration of executions of Bengali intellectuals|
|Next time||14 December 2018|
Martyred Intellectuals Day (Bengali: শহীদ বুদ্ধিজীবী দিবস Shaheed Buddhijibi Dibôsh) is observed on 14 December in Bangladesh to commemorate those intellectuals who were killed by Pakistani forces and their collaborators during the 1971 Liberation War, particularly on 25 March and 14 December 1971. The killings were undertaken with the goal of annihilating the intellectual class of what was then East Pakistan. Two days after the events of 14 December, on 16 December, Bangladesh became independent through the surrender of Pakistani forces.
The Bangladesh Liberation War against Pakistan began on 26 March 1971, and grew into the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, ending with the victory of Bangladesh on 16 December 1971. On 14 December, sensing imminent defeat, Pakistani forces and their local collaborators—Razakar, Al-Badr and Al-Shams—abducted and killed front-line Bengali intellectuals and professionals in order to cripple the new nation intellectually. Renowned academics, teachers, intellectuals, doctors, engineers, journalists, and other eminent personalities were dragged out of their houses, blindfolded, and killed. Their bodies were dumped in Rayerbazar, Mirpur, and other killing grounds in Dhaka just two days ahead of the final victory of the war.
|District and Division||Educator||Lawyers|
|Chittagong Hill Tracts||9||4||1||1|
|Martyred Educator (without university) total = 968|
|Martyred University teacher total = 21|
|Martyred Educator total = 989|
- Rahman, Syedur; Craig Baxter (2002). Historical Dictionary of Bangladesh. Scarecrow Press. p. 196. ISBN 978-8170945888.
- Muazzam Hussain Khan (2012), "Killing of Intellectuals", in Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal, Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.), Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- "DU set to observe Martyred Intellectuals Day, Victory Day". The News Today. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Momen, Abul (2013). Meghna Guhathakurta, Willem van Schende, ed. The Bangladesh Reader: History, Culture, Politics. Duke University Press. p. 403. ISBN 978-0822353188.
- Syed Ali Ahsan (December 16, 1972). বাংলাদেশ: গণপ্রজাতন্ত্রী বাংলাদেশ সরকার কর্তৃক প্রকাশিত বিজয় দিবস স্মারক গ্রন্থ (in Bengali). Dhaka: Government of Bangladesh.