The Marunthuvazh Malai (Tamil: மருந்துவாழ் மலை, Malayalam: മരുത്വാ മല ), also known as the Marunthu Vazhum Malai ("the abode of medicinal herbs"), forms the part and the southernmost tip of the Western Ghats of Agasteeswaram taluk of Kanyakumari district.
According to tradition, the Maruthuva Malai is a fragment of the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell down here, and it was carried by Hanuman from Mahendragiri to Lanka for healing the fatal wounds of Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, the epic hero. It stretches for more than a km, reaching a height of 800 feet at the highest point. It is about 1 km from pothaiyadi, 2 km from Swamithoppe and 11 km from Nagercoil.
This hill is also believed to be noted in Ayyavazhi mythology as Parvatha Ucchi Malai. Apart from the Mythology, this hill is historically related to the life of Vaikundar. So few theologians consider this hill as sacred and consider it one among the Ayyavazhi holy sites. Backing some quotes from Arul Nool and Akilam some even argue that Marunthuvazh Malai is one among the Vaikundapathi's.
There is a mention about this Marunthu Vazh Malai in Sri Pada Sri Vallbha Charithamrutham written during thirteenth century in Sanskrit, which is a biography of Lord Sri Pada Sri Vallabha(first avatar of Sri Dattatreya).This place is mentioned as Maruthuva Malai and the legend about this mountain is captured. It is also said in the holy book that this is a Holy land and Siddhas and saints live in this Mountain
- Unni Vasudev, Subramonian (17 November 2015). Professor’s Diary. Notion Press. p. 26. ISBN 9789352065189.
- R. Gunabalan (Dharmakartha Vaikundapathy)
- P. Sundaram Swamigal & K. Ponnumani (2000), Ucchippadippu, Ayyavaikunta Nather Sidhasramam, Vaikunda Pathi.
- P. Sundaram Swamigal & K. Ponnumani (2001), Ayyavaikundanathar Jeevacharithram (Biography of Ayya Vaikunta Nathar), Ayyavaikuntanathar Siddasramam Publications, Vaikunda Pathi.
- C. Paulose (2002), Advaita Philosophy of Brahmasri Chattampi Swamikal, Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Ayya Vaikunta Nather Sidhasramam, Vaikunda Pathi.
- The Daily Tanthi (Leading Tamil Daily), Chennai Edition, 2009-09-18, Friday Malar, Noyattra Vazhvutharum Marunthuvazh Malai, p. 4(Additional).
- S.SARAVANAN - FOUNDER - MARUNTHUVAZH MALAI AANMIGA ARAKKATTALAI, MARUNTHUVAZH MALAI.
- www.marunthuvazhmalai.com - Marutwa mala Hills, marunthuva malai, marunthuvazh malai ]
|This Ayyavazhi-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|