Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors
|Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors|
|Based on||Characters from Marvel|
|Screenplay by||Mairghread Scott|
|Directed by||Alfred Gimeno (supervising)|
|Music by||Michael McCuistion|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||80 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Marvel Animation|
Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is an American animated superhero film produced by Marvel Animation, featuring Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Patriot, and others. It is the first of the Marvel Rising franchise and was released on September 30, 2018 simultaneously on the Disney Channel and Disney XD.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (December 2018)
"When a threat no one could have expected bears down on the Marvel Universe, this ragtag, untrained band of teens have no choice but to rise together and prove to the world that sometimes the difference between a 'hero' and 'misfit' is just in the name." The inauguration of a team of new characters gave Marvel a project that would introduce to the public some of the lesser known characters within the universe.
The movie was first announced on December 7, 2017. Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, and Eric Radomski are set to executive produce the film. Those credited as co-executive producers are Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, and Marsha Griffin. Writer for the film is Mairghread Scott with Alfred Gimeno as supervising director.
All four critic reviews at Rotten Tomatoes rate the film as fresh. With ScreenRant critic Kevin Yeoman stating "The movie makes a good go of telling a larger story within the confines of a feature-length runtime. There are concessions to be made, however, and they mostly have to do with Kamala’s home life and the development of America Chavez, whose introduction and origin story feel too hasty for what the character deserves. With any luck this won’t be the last fans see of these Secret Warriors, and Disney XD will have another chance to make these characters shine."
Secret Warriors is part of a bigger project, titled Marvel Rising announced in December 2017. The franchise was first launched with a set of Marvel Rising comic books. The comic books began hitting the stands in April 2018 with Marvel Rising No. 0 for free, followed by with monthly issues starting June. Following the comic books was a digital short series about Ghost Spider that takes place before the events of Secret Warriors. Titled Marvel Rising: Initiation, the shorts aired in August 2018. Marvel Comics is expected to publish material for Marvel Rising, but delayed any announcement on their material. On August 23, 2018, the film's theme song, Born Ready, was released on Walt Disney Records' YouTube channel. Marvel announced on August 13, 2018 a Youth Storyteller live event for students to develop a script featuring Marvel Rising characters which then be filmed and posted to Marvel YouTube channel in the third quarter. On the same day in early September 2018, Marvel released the film's first trailer while Hasbro unveiled its Marvel Rising toy line that consists of three varieties of figures and the Ghost-Spider Web Slinger. Marvel announced on October 2, 2018 that two new Marvel Rising specials, Chasing Ghosts and Heart of Iron, are being filmed without fixed release dates or distribution partners.
A comic book title for the franchise was launched with the release on April 25, 2018 with Marvel Rising No. 0 for free by writer Devin Grayson, with artist Marco Failla featuring the first team up of Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel. Regular issues begin in June and would be written by Grayson, G. Willow Wilson and Ryan North. However, the "series" was more a story line as each book had a different title all numbered issue 1, for example in June it was Marvel Rising: Alpha issue 1 and Marvel Rising: Squirrel Girl & Ms. Marvel issue 1 on August 1. This was "criticized as being overly complicated and confusing" by Comics Worth Reading.
A series of six four-minute shorts, titled Marvel Rising: Initiation, were released on in advance of the film. The shorts focus on Ghost-Spider, who is on the run after being framed for her friend Kevin's murder, while Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Quake, and Patriot attempt to bring her in. Written by Mairghread Scott, Initiation aired on August 13, 2018 on Disney XD. The episodes are grouped into three arcs, a Gwen Stacy solo, a Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl team-up, and a S.H.I.E.L.D. pursuit.
CBR reviewer Meagan Damore concluded that the series "is a fun, approachable series filled with characters that will make viewers instantly fall in love. Existing fans will find a lot to like here, but even those unfamiliar with these characters will have no problem immersing themselves in this world. Like Cameron said in an earlier interview with CBR, the animated series truly has something for everybody. Marvel Rising: Initiation is a must for Marvel fans."
|Theme song by Dove Cameron|
|Released||August 23, 2018|
On August 23, 2018, the film's theme song, Born Ready, was released on Walt Disney Records VEVO YouTube channel. The song is sung by Dove Cameron, who plays Ghost-Spider in other Marvel Rising media.
Young Storytellers event
With the Young Storytellers nonprofit organization, Marvel announced on August 13, 2018 a live event will be hosted at which students (ages 11 to 13) will work with mentors to develop a three to five-page script featuring Marvel Rising characters. The voice actors would then perform them to be posted to Marvel YouTube channel in the third quarter.
Following the premiere of Secret Warriors, Marvel announced on October 2, 2018 two new Marvel Rising specials for future release. 
- The first, Chasing Ghosts, is written by Mairghread Scott and will run for 22 minutes. It continue Ghost-Spider's story from the Initiation shorts, with guest appearances from the Secret Warriors to stop Exile and a new villain named Sheath (voiced by Amanda C. Miller). On January 14, 2019, it was announced that Chasing Ghosts would be released on January 16 on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel, and on February 1 on the DisneyNOW app.
- The second, Heart of Iron, which will introduce Ironheart to Marvel Rising is written by Margaret Dunlap and will run for 44 minutes. Ironheart, AKA Riri Williams (voiced by Sofia Wylie), who is having difficulty adjusting to college life as the youngest student there then the college's engineering lab is demolished by an alien and kidnaps her best friend. Inspired by Iron Man (Tony Stark), she develops a plan to save her friend. The special will also feature appearances by Iron Man (voiced by Mick Wingert) and a new character named A.M.I. (voiced by Melanie Minichino).
- Trumbore, Dave (December 7, 2017). "Marvel Announces Animated Feature Film 'Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors'". Collider. Archived from the original on December 8, 2017. Retrieved December 8, 2017.
- Whyte, Alexandra (August 13, 2018). "Marvel teams up with Young Storytellers". Kidscreen. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Johnson, Zach (August 23, 2018). "Watch Dove Cameron Sing the Marvel Rising Theme Song "Born Ready"". Eonline. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Rothman, Michael (December 7, 2017). "Marvel to launch animated series focused on young, diverse heroes". ABC News. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (December 7, 2017). "Marvel Launching Next-Gen Franchise 'Marvel Rising'; Feature Film In Works". Deadline. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors Will Likely Entertain Any Marvel Fan". ScreenRant. 2018-09-24. Retrieved 2018-10-12.
- Pockross, Adam (December 7, 2017). "New Marvel Rising feature and shorts to introduce next generation of Marvel Universe". Syfy. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Yeoman, Kevin (September 24, 2018). "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors Will Likely Entertain Any Marvel Fan". ScreenRant. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Butler, Karen (December 8, 2017). "Dove Cameron, Chloe Bennet, Tyler Posey to voice 'Marvel Rising' characters". UPI. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- McMillan, Graeme (January 31, 2018). "Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel Teaming Up for Free Comic". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- McMillan, Grame (December 7, 2017). "Marvel Launching Animated Property 'Marvel Rising' in 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- McMillan, Graeme (September 12, 2018). "Hasbro Unveils 'Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors' Toy Line". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Sorrentino, Mike (October 2, 2018). "Iron Man Riri Williams is making her animated debut in Marvel Rising". CNET. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- "Marvel Rising: Initiation | Starring Dove Cameron! | ALL EPISODES". YouTube. Aug 14, 2018.
- Dominguez, Noah (January 14, 2019). "Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors & Ghost-Spider Team Up in Chasing Ghosts Trailer". CBR. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- McMillan, Graeme (July 17, 2018). "IDW to Publish Middle-Grade Comic Books Featuring Marvel Superheroes". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Holub, Christian (July 16, 2018). "'Marvel Rising' aims to create superhero stories for a new generation of female fans". Entertainment Weekly. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Damore, Meagan (August 9, 2018). "REVIEW: Marvel Rising: Initiation Is a Must for Marvel Fans". CBR. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Release, Press (August 24, 2018). "Dove Cameron Debut New Single "Born Ready, " Theme Song To Marvel Rising Animated Series". WSYM. Retrieved October 4, 2018.