Marvel Super Hero Squad Online
|Marvel Super Hero Squad Online|
Promotional comic distributed as free handout during E3 2010.
|Release date(s)||April 29, 2011 (US Beta)
November 4, 2011 (Europe Beta)
November 1, 2012 (Server Merge)
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online role-playing game|
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online is a massively multiplayer online game for younger audiences based on the Marvel Super Hero Squad. The open beta version of the game was released on April 29, 2011 (although a closed beta was released in early 2011). It is a free-to-play game that supports both microtransactions of its in-game currency and a monthly subscription.
Players collect heroes to form their own Squad. They are able to choose a hero from their Squad to play in a number of games and activities. As they play, the heroes increase not only their power in combat, but unlock animated emotes for use in the social game world zones.
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online has alternate controls, in which with one click the player can move from one place to another, or using the arrow keys or the traditional W, A, S, D keys on a keyboard. Selected characters can fly by pressing on green circles on the ground. If the character is unable to fly, that character can have a double jump or a high/long jump. Points are separated into two compartments, gold and fractals. Gold points can be used to buy anything, while fractals also allow a player to buy anything. However, fractals can be earned over time in game while gold must be purchased with real money in the store. Many characters from the Marvel Universe appear in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online in a traditional Super Hero Squad "super-deformed" style.
Missions have a beat 'em up style where players must defeat a massive amount of enemies to reach the final boss.
Game World Areas are separated as zones. Zones include the Daily Bugle, Baxter Building, and Asgard with all taking a small portion of Spider-Man's, the Fantastic Four's, and Thor's home locations. Additionally, Villainville has been made available for players to visit, as a zone.
A collectible card game was made available to play in early August 2011. An arcade has been developed where players can play as Deadpool, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange and Jean Grey in selected mini-games. Two characters such as Deadpool and She-Hulk are featured in each mini-game. An achievement system was released that allows players to complete several challenges such as greeting other players, buying new heroes, beating missions or card game quests. Each challenge completed awards the player fractals, and a new hero. The game was released in Europe on November 4, 2011. On November 1, 2012, the European server was merged with the North American server and expanded to encompass more European countries.
There are currently 181 playable characters as of April 25, 2015.
- ^a Only available to monthly subscribers.
- ^b Only available after purchasing a one-year subscription.
- ^c Only available after purchasing the $95.95 gold bundle.
- ^d Only available through the in-game achievement system.
- ^e Only available through the in-game crafting system.
- ^f Only available through an in-game Mystery Box purchase.
- ^g Rotation character. Only available periodically for a limited time.
The game was developed using the Unity3D engine, so that it is playable in any internet browser on both Microsoft Windows and Apple OS computers. The first debut trailer for Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was released on June 9, 2010. Marvel Super Hero Squad Online originally did not feature audio for the voice of the characters. An update was released on February 10, 2012 featuring all the characters to have some sort of voice. Over 3000 lines have been recorded.
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online on Gamespot".
- Super Hero Squad Online fires up closed beta
- Marvel and Gazillion Launch Super Hero Squad Online
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Unveiled".
- "Asgard Expansion Pack".
- Super Hero Squad Online teasing Villainville
- Marvel Super Hero Squad Expands into Villianville Where Players Can Be Dark Heroes
- Watch the Super Hero Squad Online Card Game Trailer
- "Gazillion Announces Marvel Super Hero Squad Online". June 8, 2010. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "AMD Eyefinity Validated and Ready Software".
- Official International Website
- Former European Website
- The Amazing Society website
- Gazillion Website
- Facebook page
- Marvel Super Hero Squad Online at the Internet Movie Database