Marvel Super Hero Squad Online
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Marvel Super Hero Squad Online|
|Series||Marvel Super Hero Squad|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, macOS|
April 29, 2011 (US Beta)|
November 4, 2011 (Europe Beta)
November 1, 2012 (Server Merge)
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online role-playing game|
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was a massively multiplayer online game for younger audiences based on the Marvel Super Hero Squad, developed by American studio Gazillion. The open beta version of the game was released on April 29, 2011 (although a closed beta was released in early 2011). It was a free-to-play game that supported both microtransactions of its in-game currency and a monthly subscription.
Players collected heroes to form their own Squad. They were able to choose a hero from their Squad to play in a number of games and activities. As they played, the heroes increased not only their power in combat, but unlocked animated emotes for use in the social game world zones.
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was the first MMO game developed in Gazillion's and Marvel's 10-year exclusive game publishing agreement. The second was Marvel Heroes.
On October 11, 2016, it was revealed that Super Hero Squad Online will be shutting down in January 2017. On January 11, 2017, Super Hero Squad Online was shut down.
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online had alternate controls, in which with one click the player could move from one place to another, or using the arrow keys or the traditional W, A, S, D keys on a keyboard. Selected characters could fly by pressing on blue circles on the ground. If the character was unable to fly, that character could have a double jump or a high/long jump. Points were separated into two compartments, gold and fractals. Gold points could be used to buy anything, while fractals also allowed a player to buy anything. However, fractals could be earned over time in game while gold had to be purchased with real money in the store. Many characters from the Marvel Universe appeared in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online in a traditional Super Hero Squad "super-deformed" style.
Missions had a beat 'em up style where players had to defeat a massive amount of enemies to reach the final boss.
Game World Areas were separated as zones. Zones included the Daily Bugle, Baxter Building, and Asgard with all having taken a small portion of Spider-Man's, the Fantastic Four's, and Thor's home locations. Additionally, Villainville was made available for players to visit, as a zone.
A collectible card game was made available to play in early August 2011. The object was to deplete your opponent's card deck by attacking with your own cards. An arcade was developed where players could play as Deadpool, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange and Jean Grey in selected mini-games. Two characters such as Deadpool and She-Hulk were featured in each mini-game. An achievement system was released that allowed players to complete several challenges such as greeting other players, buying new heroes, beating missions or card game quests. Each challenge completed awarded the player fractals, and a new hero. The game was released in Europe on November 4, 2011. On November 1, 2012, the European server was merged with the North American server and expanded to encompass more European countries.
There were 196 playable characters as of October 11, 2016.
- ^a Only available to monthly subscribers.
- ^b Only available after purchasing a one-year subscription.
- ^c Only available after purchasing the $95.95 gold bundle.
- ^d Only available through the in-game achievement system.
- ^e Only available through the in-game crafting system.
- ^f Only available through an in-game Mystery Box purchase.
- ^g Rotation character. Only available periodically for a limited time.
The game was developed using the Unity engine, so that it was playable on any web browser on both Microsoft Windows and macOS computers. Google Chrome, however, was incompatible. The first debut trailer for Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was released on June 9, 2010. Marvel Super Hero Squad Online originally did not feature audio for the voice of the characters. An update was released on February 10, 2012 featuring all the characters to have some sort of voice. Over 3000 lines were recorded.
- Charlie Adler- Doctor Doom/ Red Skull/ Annihilus/ Doctor Octopus/ Mr. Fantastic/ Sasquatch/ Wonder Man/ Wendigo/ Sentry/ Iron Patriot/ Agent Venom
- Laura Bailey- Black Widow/ Mystique/ Psylocke/ Jean Grey/ Rescue/ Arachne
- Alimi Ballard- Falcon/ Miles Morales Spider-Man
- Ted Biaselli- Mole Man
- Steven Blum- Abomination/ Fin Fang Foom/ Wolverine/ Sabretooth/ Super Skrull/ Ghost Rider/ Thanos/ Frankenstein's Monster/ Iron Patriot/ Mr. Fix It/ Taskmaster
- David Boat- Sabretooth/ The Thing/ Thor/ Beast/ Mysterio/ Dracula
- Chris Cox- Captain Marvel/ Archangel/ Scarlet Spider
- Antony Del Rio- Angel/ Human Torch/ Iceman/ Reptil/ Monkey King
- Grey DeLisle- Enchantress/ Elektra/ Emma Frost/ Invisible Woman/ Ms. Marvel/ She-Hulk/ Spider-Woman/ Storm/ Arachne/ Tigra/ Red She-Hulk
- Robert Englund- Dormammu
- Crispin Freeman- Bullseye/ Ghost Rider/ Punisher/ Malekith
- Mikey Kelley- Silver Surfer/ Spider-Man
- Tom Kenny- Iron Man/ Captain America/ Deadpool/ M.O.D.O.K/ Doctor Octopus/ Green Goblin/ Daredevil/ Cable/ James Hudson/ Impossible Man/ Agent Coulson/ Iron Man 2020/ Morbius/ Red Hulk
- Phil LaMarr- Luke Cage/ Gambit/ Nick Fury
- Yuri Lowenthal- Spider-Man/ Green Goblin/ Loki/ Titanium Man/ Noir Spider-Man/ Spider-Man 2099/ Ant-Man/ Iron Fist/ Winter Soldier/ Spider-Ham/ Superior Spider-Man/ Lizard/ Black Suit Spider-Man
- Peter Renaday- Odin
- Sam Riegel- Hawkeye
- Bumper Robinson- War Machine
- Roger Rose- Doctor Strange
- Tara Strong- American Dream/ Rogue/ Scarlet Witch/ Black Cat/ Wasp
- James Arnold Taylor- Loki
- Tony Todd- Blade/ Surtur
- Kari Wahlgren- Enchantress
- Rick D. Wasserman- Fin Fang Foom
- Travis Willingham- Venom/ Hulk/ Kingpin/ Super Skrull/ Onslaught/ Magneto/ Juggernaut/ Havok
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online on Gamespot".
- Super Hero Squad Online fires up closed beta
- Marvel and Gazillion Launch Super Hero Squad Online Archived 2011-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Unveiled".
- "Asgard Expansion Pack".
- Super Hero Squad Online teasing Villainville
- Marvel Super Hero Squad Expands into Villianville Where Players Can Be Dark Heroes Archived 2011-10-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- Watch the Super Hero Squad Online Card Game Trailer
- "Gazillion Announces Marvel Super Hero Squad Online". June 8, 2010. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "AMD Eyefinity Validated and Ready Software".