The school is accredited by and participates in athletics with the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools.
The school was founded as a segregation academy founded by parents, some of whom were members of a White Citizens Council. The school was at one time located across a cotton patch from the area public school. Marvell public schools had been integrated in 1965. Marvell Academy is a Christian faith-based school. The student body of Marvell Academy is still 100% white.
- "Marvell Academy Principals." Manta. Retrieved on March 2, 2011. "645 Highway 243 Marvell, AR 72366."
- "Private Schools: The Last Refuge." TIME. Friday November 14, 1969. Retrieved on March 2, 2011.
- "South's All-White Private Academies Double This Year." Chicago Tribune. November 27, 1970. D7. Retrieved on March 2, 2011. "the private Marvell Academy, across a cotton patch from the public school[...]"
- Jackson v. Marvell School District No C G 22 (Oct. 2, 1969.)
- http://www.marvellacademy.org/mission/ Marvell Academy. Retrieved on September 9, 2014.
- "Marvell Academy: Student Diversity". GreatSchools.org. 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-17.